SUMMARY: This position reports directly to the Regional Business Development Manager. The Regional Business Development Representative plays a key role in their assignedterritory, developing agency relationships, generating new business opportunities / submissions through these relationships, and focusing on retention efforts in their assignedterritory and other areas as directed. This individual will coordinate planning, advertising, and attendance at local / regional trade shows, medical society events, and association meetings. This role will also work closely with the Business Development Management Team and other senior leaders to assist in coordination of high-level initiatives, strategy meetings, and online and in-person platforms and gatherings. The Regional Business Development Representative will manage the Central Region territory including KS, KY, MO, and TN.
Essential Functions: Individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The essential functions listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Utilize the principles of relationship-based selling to generate new business applications in coordination with agency partners, utilizing a variety of methods including, but not limited to: attendance at events; cold calls; personal visits; and interaction with key constituents and community leaders.
- Assist with the development and implementation of territory marketing plans and strategies to capture and expand market share to meet the objectives of the Business Development Department. Coordinate with the Marketing & Brand Team, the Regional Business Development Manager and leadership on the development of sales literature and integrated marketing campaigns.
- Deliver presentations to Agents/Brokers and other audiences as appropriate.
- Review accounts to determine profitability and retention plans with the Underwriting Department as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain relationships with assigned agency producers. Coordinate all activities with assigned producers, to include, but not limited to: providing indications; assisting with proposals; retention efforts, answering questions on NORCAL underwriting guidelines; acting as a liaison between underwriting and the producer; and conducting joint presentation calls and in person meetings.
- Assist with the management of the Agency/Broker distribution system. Responsibilities include assisting with the: Agency/Broker Agreements; AOR/BOR letters; commission schedules as well as monitoring performance standards.
- Attend exhibits, expositions, and meetings, throughout company territories to represent NORCAL Group and support business objectives.
- Work with organized medicine (state, county and specialty societies) to develop and enhance the relationship between NORCAL Group and the organizations. Prospect additional organized medicine groups who do not endorse/sponsor NORCAL Group for possible alignment and strategic partnerships.
- Work with the Marketing & Brand team in the evaluation of sponsorships, participation in trade-shows, exhibits and appropriate social and charity events.
- Work with colleagues in Risk Management around the strategic coordination of RM / CME activities in support of large Groups, Medical Associations, and individual Medical Society's education efforts and initiatives.
- Provide competitive market position data to the Regional Business Development Manager and other senior leaders across Business Development.
- Develop and implement appropriate plans to compete on and win accounts.
- Monitor and evaluate malpractice insurance market conditions and trends. Monitor competitor information including: rates; policy forms; underwriting manuals; financial information and marketing strategies. Alert management to new developments and makes recommendations to modify sales strategy as needed.
- Recommend opportunities for new products, e-communication strategies and service improvements to, the Business Development Management Team, Research & Development, and Marketing & Brand.
- Complete weekly tracking reports and other weekly activity reports. Utilize NORCAL systems and processes to track new business opportunities. Provides updates to their Regional Manager and other senior leaders on above activities.
- Assist with the planning and execution of agency/producer meetings, telephone calls and written correspondence, as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Regional Business Development Manager and other senior leaders across Business Development.
Fiscal Responsibilities: None
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Expenses: Employees must be able to pay for certain business expenses in advance. Examples include such items as airline tickets, rental cars, hotel deposits, seminar registrations, etc. Employees are eligible for reimbursement for such expenses through the company's Expense Reimbursement Policy.
Required Driving: This Position requires extensive travel throughout company territories. Travel will include evening, weekend and/or overnight stays. You must own or lease an automobile. Proof of valid driver's license, registration, and minimum auto insurance will be required.
Physical/Environmental Working Conditions:
- The individual in this role will primarily be working remotely, so the ability to work from a home office environment in accordance with our company's remote work policy willbe required.
- A general office environment is primarily sedentary work which requires the following physical activities including: standing, sitting, walking, reaching, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking hearing and visual acuity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Exposure to LCD on a daily basis.
- Extensive travel throughout assigned region and occasional travel throughout company regions will be required.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work-related experience is required
- P&C license required to be obtained within 30-days of hire.
- Minimum of five years' experience in strategic development within a Sales Department.
- Expertise working in a brokerage or agency setting specializing in Medical Professional Liability insurance products and markets preferred.
- Healthcare, insurance, or financial services industry experience a plus.
- Superior organizational and project management skills; able to multi-task effectively.
- Must be highly motivated, self-starter, goal oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate sales and negotiation skills and willingness to work collaboratively as a team in a fast paced, ever changing, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects, challenging deadlines and competing priorities.
- Good organization and time management skills.
- Proficient MS Office skills
NORCAL rewards eligible employees with competitive salaries and excellent employee benefits including the following:
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, & life effective date of hire
- Health Care & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- 4 weeks of PTO plus paid holidays
- Employee Bonus Program
- 401(k) with generous dollar for dollar match up to 5% of eligible compensation withadditional 3% non-elective employer contribution
- Community Involvement Fund – Volunteer and/or company matching contributions
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Adoption Assistance
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition Program
- NORCAL University Employee Training & Development Programs