The Region Safety and Health Manager is responsible for implementation, oversight, and leadership with the division safety/health, risk management, and employee development programs. They will foster a collaborative relationship to be a seamless strategic business partner to the region president.
- Oversight of the administration/maintenance of division safety programs; ensuring any/all new developments in technology available for incident/injury prevention are continually evaluated.
- Ensuring that proper incident investigations are continually conducted for all occurrences, providing recommendations for risk reduction as applicable.
- Oversight (both direct and indirect) of multiple areas with organization/maintenance of both passive and active support files/records for all incidents/injuries, including: general liability, auto liability, workmen’s compensation, and all other applicable claims.
- Coordinating the administration of incident claims, including negotiation/settlement of claims within proscribed limits of liability and directing other claims to the corresponding agencies.
- Maintaining liaison with all affiliated agencies, including: Insurance companies (WC, GL, AL), MSHA, OSHA, & State Labor Commissions.
- Conducting and oversight of site safety audit processes & assisting site personnel in selection/installment of safety devices.
- Coaching support to the operations personnel in conducting hazard awareness and risk management sessions.
- Assisting/Coaching operations managers/supervisors in conducting their own training programs. Collecting and making available safety/health material to operations supervisors for training needs.
- Stewarding/Implementing Employee Engagement philosophies, education, & growth strategies.
- Maintaining area/programs of responsibility to keep within economical demands of budgets.
- Providing direction/technical support to ensure employees’ health and minimize potential employee exposures through established industrial hygiene practices (i.e. Respiratory Protection Program, Hearing Conservation Program, and Silica Awareness Program).
- Monitoring employee health hazard exposures using established industrial hygiene techniques and enabling all areas to carry out personal monitoring.
- Oversight of Selection & Coordination for occupational physicians to ensure injured employees are provided with the best available treatment while ensuring injury resolution and prevention.
- Implementing strategic plans to ensure continued success in meeting division business objectives within Safety/Health, Safety Leadership, and Leadership education.
- Monitoring company safety results & compiling representative reports to executive officers.
- Coaching operations managers/supervisors with the performance management process including implementation, development, and facilitation.
- Developing creative communications methods to ensure the distribution and institutionalization of best practices through tools such as: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, e-mail, SharePoint.
- Directly supervises 2 to 8 employees, including other supervisors, and assists all mangers/supervisors with Safety/Health related issues.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Industrial Hygiene or Safety/Health related field and seven or more years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence. Ability to carefully articulate and clearly communicate both specific technical information and creatively compose development strategies. Ability to effectively participate in and speak to large groups. Advanced presentation skills required.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to comprehend scientific formulas.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written and oral instructions. Ability to think through complex systems (human, mechanical, organizational, etc.) issues to derive potential solutions.
- Detailed working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Ability to effectively navigate and research regulatory agency and industry related web content.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move any where up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position will require 40% to 60% travel.
- To perform the job successfully; an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership skills, creative writing, clear and analytical thinking, creative presentation abilities, speaking clearly and effectively in front of large and small groups, and strong organizational abilities.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to speak Spanish is plus.
What CRH Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs