Overview HNTB is a leading provider of planning, design and program management services for transportation development programs nationwide. The firm is implementing an aggressive strategic growth plan across select geographies and market sectors. We have identified the HNTB West Region and the HNTB Aviation Market Sector as an essential part of our national plan to grow the firm. HNTB has been a major player in the aviation industry for over 60 years, with an impressive portfolio of projects and clients nationwide, including the West. We are in the process of recruiting a number of key positions in the aviation market, including an Aviation Leader for the HNTB West Region.
HNTB's goals for the Aviation Leader in the West Region include:
- Significantly grow aviation sales, revenue and earnings across all our practice areas
- Continue to expand the firm's presence as an industry leader in professional services for airports and aviation clients, and
- To be a thought leader and advocate for air transportation as the industry evolves into the future.
HNTB provides a broad range of professional services to our Airport and Aviation clients. Generally these services are associated with the planning, design and construction of airport and aviation infrastructure and facilities. Our key aviation practice areas include airport planning, environmental/sustainability studies, engineering design, architectural design, special airport systems, and program management/construction management.
HNTB currently has three geographic Regions and eight Divisions:
- West Region: includes West Division and Northwest Division
- Central Region: includes Central Division and Great Lakes Division
- East Region: includes Northeast Division, Mid-Atlantic Division and Southeast Division
- Design-Build Division – Nationwide
The West Region Aviation Leader will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of the firm's strategies for HNTB's profitable growth across all our aviation practice areas within the West Division and Northwest Division of the West Region. The geographic coverage of the HNTB West Region generally covers the following states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Washington and Wyoming. In addition to these geographies, aviation staff in the West Region also provides pursuit and project support to other HNTB Regions, Divisions and office nationwide.
The West Region Aviation Leader will work with the West Region leadership of HNTB and HNTB's National Aviation Market Sector Leader to grow the aviation business in the West Region by positioning for and selling all our services with targeted clients across the West Region geography. This will include supporting and facilitating the expansion of the business in the West Region and to grow the staff and practice resources needed to increase the firm's market share in aviation while providing superior value to aviation clients. The West Region Aviation Leader will work with HNTB client and project teams to identify, pursue, win, and deliver the largest and most challenging assignments in the industry.
Responsible for the effective and profitable management and delivery of end-to-end PMC services on a program with a program value of <$1B.
- Acts as the client's agent in delivering PMC services in the areas of strategic planning, alternative delivery, innovative financing, procurement/contract management, risk management, project controls, quality management, construction management, project closeout and acceptance, and operations/maintenance.
- Routinely resolves difficult issues of significant financial impact, assessing and managing risk on behalf of the client.
- Identifies and effectively pursues opportunities to advance HNTB's presence and revenue opportunity, both with current client(s) and more broadly within the PMC market.
- Actively works to build a reputation in the industry and within Program Management, maintaining positive relationships with clients and representing HNTB with local, state and national industry organizations.
- Interacts with senior government or public officials and/or clients on significant program matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Responsible for defining staffing needs for the delivery of services, providing direction and oversight to Project Managers, other staff, client staff and subcontractors.
- Has an awareness and understanding of the political environment and sensitivities in which a program is being delivered.
- Able to lead HNTB team in understanding client perspectives and vision of success while keeping staff connected to firm culture and organization.
- Develops a deep understanding of full range of HNTB services and firm-wide resources.
- Participates in the development of client service action plans and client project reviews.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Strategic Planning and Implementation:
- Lead the development and implementation of the strategic plan for the aviation market in the West Region based on industry involvement, client contact, and interaction with HNTB office leaders, client service leaders and project managers.
- Maintain knowledge of national aviation and local airport markets.
- Identify trends and future opportunities.
- Identify and propose additional resources and organizational strategies to capitalize on identified opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Program Delivery initiative to identify opportunities and deliver full-service PMC and CM assignments on airport programs.
- Industry Representation:
- Assist in representing HNTB within aviation industry organizations, including AAAE, ACI-NA, ACC and applicable state /regional associations.
- Coordinate the involvement of HNTB colleagues in organizations and associations in the region.
- Collaborate with HNTB Corporate Communications and the National Aviation Market Sector Leader to develop and implement regional and state-level communications programs and campaigns.
Marketing and Business Development:
- Develop and maintain trusted adviser relationships with key airport and aviation clients in the region.
- Proactively identify programs to help address the issues of and advance the programs of specific, targeted states and clients.
- Work with West Region leadership, the National Aviation Market Sector Leader, HNTB client service teams, local offices, and divisions in the development of targeted client service action plans.
- Participate in strategic positioning for major aviation, airport and airline project opportunities.
- Serve as a coordinator with HNTB aviation staff resources in the West Region across all practice areas, including, but not limited to, planning, environmental, engineering design, architectural design, airport systems planning/design and program management/construction management.
- Coordinate with, support and collaborate with aviation staff resources to ensure that HNTB has full complement of top-level capabilities, strategically deployed to successfully pursue and deliver projects.
- Ensure HNTB is current with trends in the industry.
- Work directly on high level projects with the business units as directed.
- Identify staffing needs for the development and delivery of aviation services.
- Participate in recruiting key staff; Coordinate the deployment of key aviation practice resources on opportunities, pursuits, and projects.
Reporting Structure and Location:
- The position will be a Vice President, reporting to the HNTB West Region President.
- The West Region Aviation Leader will also be a member of the National Aviation Market Sector Leadership Team and the HNTB Aviation Practice Community. Facilitated by the National Aviation Market Sector Leader, the West Region Aviation Leader will have connectivity to other HNTB Aviation leaders and staff nationwide including Regional and Division Aviation Leaders, National Aviation Practice Leaders, Aviation Group Leaders and other resources.
- Location is generally flexible within the HNTB West Division, with the preference for placement in an HNTB office in California, Washington State or Colorado.
Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related discipline
8 years relevant experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Planning or other applicable degree. Certification not required, but desired (PE, AIA, AICP or similar). Advanced degree helpful.
- Minimum 20 years of experience in the aviation industry with a combination of technical, management and business development expertise.
- Experience managing the planning, design, and/or construction of aviation projects.
- Relationships/experience at FAA large and medium hub designated airports in the West Region including LAX, SEA, SFO, PHX, LAS, DEN, SAN, OAK, SJC, PDX, SMF.
- Relationships/experience with major U.S. Airlines including Delta, American, United, Southwest.
- Experience and familiarity with a variety of project/program delivery methods including Design/Build, Design-Bid-Build, CM at Risk and PPP.
- Effective client management skills.
- Extensive relationship building skills in the industry.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, listening skills, etc.).
- Broad based perspective of customer service.
- Active engagement in relevant professional organizations and industry associations
- Executive presence and insight into people to read various business situations.