Railroad Signal Design Engineer
Department:MA-Transit & RailLocation:Boston, MA
START YOUR APPLICATION
VHB’s growing Boston, MA team is looking for a Railroad Signal Design Engineer(s) to join our Transit and Rail team.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
Skills and Abilities:
• Understanding of the following attributes of a signaling system:
- North American Train Control Systems for Freight, Commuter Rail, Light Rail and High-speed rail operations
- Detailed knowledge of Signal Aspect and speed control drawings
- Signal block design involving “Safe Braking” for all types of North American signal systems
- Wayside Signaling systems including wayside/cab, switch machines, track circuits, and cross bonding, and/or axle counters
- Ability to design in accordance with the FRA principles defined in the CFR 49 parts 234-236 relating to vital and non-vital software and electrical circuits
- Ability to program Vital and Non-Vital Microprocessor based systems
- Experience with designing “at grade” railroad crossing circuits for both constant and fixed warning systems including traffic preemption
- Power Supplies and Distribution.
- Knowledge of office systems involving computer-based dispatcher workstations
- Knowledge of railroad signal construction techniques and standards for heavy and light rail installations
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with CFR 49 Parts 234-236, AREMA Signal Manual and Recommendations and IEEE and how they pertain to North American train control systems.
- Working knowledge of all applications within the Microsoft Office software group.
- Ability to create or revise electronic drawings using AutoCAD and/or Microstation CAD programs.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Motivated to lead and mentor others • Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
• A positive attitude towards teamwork, communication and problem-solving
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in North American Railroad Signaling Systems
• An Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or in a related field such as Computer Systems Engineering etc.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 36 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.