Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign resources (personnel and equipment) to meet all test requests for the Material Testing group.
- Work with appropriate personnel (e.g. management, person(s) requesting testing, etc.) on prioritizing all internal and external tests.
- Review material technical data generated by internal or external facilities. Develop appropriate statistical techniques to evaluate data. Implement statistical techniques into Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for appropriate test equipment / methods.
- Recommend or develop new test methods (i.e. search for existing test methods or create a new Lydall Test Method). Coordinate implementation of new test methods.
- Work with Product Development group to develop Failure Mode Testing for new and/or existing products.
- Create technical reports, as needed. When necessary, work with Product Development group to draw conclusions based on test method, material properties, etc.
- Recommend purchase of new laboratory equipment. Develop new equipment justifications for annual capital plan (budget).
- Review and be knowledgeable of all applicable sections of ISO 17025, “General Requirements for the Competence of Testing & Calibration Laboratories” and any laboratory-specific quality and technical procedures, including all applicable test methods (e.g. from ASTM, SAE, Ford, GM).
- Handle all aspects of current laboratory accreditation. Assure that accreditation by the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) is maintained and all requirements are met. Coordinate yearly reviews / audits by A2LA.
- Review testing-related electronic tools (e.g. Test Tracker Database) and determine any necessary updates or modifications.
- Assist sales and engineering with penetrating new applications and customers, including benchmarking and translating Voice of the Customer information into new applications.
- Provide project leadership with the development of next-generation materials as defined by management.
- Conduct independent research on the application of advanced materials and new production technologies.
- Mentor and assist Product Development Engineers to develop any new OEM specification(s) needed to qualify new products and penetrate given market(s).
- Serve as an active participant in LSS programs that promote continuous improvement
- Must adhere to all company and location policies and safety rules
- Must be able to work extended hours when required
- All other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required for Consideration as a Candidate:
(If a degree is required it must be from an accredited institution)
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Material Science or related field
- At least 3-5 years previous testing experience required (automotive testing preferred)
- Strong background in the following disciplines preferred: Statistics, Failure-Mode Testing
- Familiarity with standard organizations such as ASTM, SAE, ISO, JIS, and DIN and OEM-specific methods for customers such as Ford, GM, Fiat Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagen, Mercedes and Volvo
- Familiarity with lab accreditation organizations such as A2LA or NVLAP