R&D Staff Engineer - Product Engineering
8 - 10 years experience • Medical Equipment
Our people make all the difference in our success.
At BD Becton Dickinson & Co., you’re one person making one big difference. You’re a key member of a team that is an important part of a leading, purposeful company committed to advancing the world of health. No matter what role you play, you can be confident that you’re improving lives, all over the world. And as you progress with us, your impact will only grow.
Within BD Medication and Procedural Solutions (MPS), the R&D team is looking for a highly talented and driven individual with a passion and proven track record for product development and engineering.
The incumbent will join the Worldwide Injection Systems Product Engineering team as a Staff Engineer, providing leadership and technical support to a large cross-functional team.
The associate will have responsibility for prioritizing, managing, and executing on a diverse portfolio of projects in support of sustaining engineering including line extensions, continuous improvement, capacity expansion, supply continuity, global compliance, and customer supports.
This team is responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing solutions to support the current and future Injection Systems portfolio on a global basis and works closely with marketing, operations, manufacturing plants, quality, medical affairs, and regulatory affairs.
The role will require cross-functional leadership, influencing and negotiation skills, and project/program management proficiency in addition to the ability to directly lead associates in project execution. More specifically, your responsibilities may include:
- Lead a cross-functional team, including R&D, Quality, Regulatory, Medical, and Manufacturing resources in managing and executing projects in support of global medical products.
- Collaborate with the global platform leadership team including reviewing of portfolio projects and managing priorities
- Lead and support execution of technical and/or cross-functional project work
- Support the portfolio of current products in terms of quality and regulatory compliance, manufacturing, and supply continuity
- Ensure implementation and rigor of product development processes and design control procedures
- Demonstrate strong and clear accountability for operational and program success
- Demonstrate leadership, learning agility, and action orientation when facing uncertainty. Instill confidence through leadership and actions
- Motivate the team to achieve individual and program objectives
- Foster the development of team members to excel in their performance, both functionally and cross-functionally
- Contribute to a culture of innovation by proactively generating novel concepts to improve current product performance or enhance current products’ ability to address customer needs.
- Ensure compliance with BD quality policies, procedures, and practices
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures
- Bachelors/Masters/PhDdegree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely related engineeringdegreerequired).
- B.S.: 8+ years of experience in technical area. M.S.: 5+ years of experience in technical area. Ph.D.: 3+ years of experience in technical area.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in product development and design of medical devices, products, and/or packaging. Leadership role preferred.
- PgMP certification, PMP certification or similar
- Experience in design and development of high volume medical devices; experience with drug delivery devices preferred
- Demonstrated experience in a technical leadership role on a cross-functional team
- Demonstrated experience with all phases of the Design Control process (21 CFR 820)
- Demonstrated understanding of product development considerations for tightly controlled, high-volume manufacturing processes
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams with strong understanding of disciplined product development processes, regulatory, and quality requirements.
- Experience planning multiple work-streams, identifying risk, and implementing action plans to optimize timelines and reduce execution risk
- Experience managing global supply relationships, including project timelines, development direction, and IP
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing methods such as molding and stamping, and automated assembly and packaging processes
- Clear understanding of manufacturing process validation including FAI/FAT, development and IQ/OQ/PQ.
- Demonstrated understanding of the requirements management process, with demonstrated experience in design verification strategy and execution.
- Experience with design optimization for multi-component mechanical assemblies or systems involving injection molded and compression molded components
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project or equivalent project planning software
- Understanding of technical drawing standards; GD&T training a plus
- Familiarity with statistical techniques
- Demonstrated ability to act as a change protagonist
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Team oriented.
- Demonstrated versatility and learning agility
- Basic understanding of business / finance concepts (e.g. payback, rate of return, cashflow, income statement, etc.)
Job ID R-24946