ABB is seeking a R&D Senior Engineer for its Lake Mary, Florida location. This role is responsible for designing and developing Medium voltage Switchgear with respect to market requirements and based on standards. IT also helps in Contributing significantly to successful project results in technology and / or product development by identifying, proposing and implementing innovative solutions. Use unique technical knowledge to oversee development tasks.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Technical and scientific proficiency and leadership - Demonstrates solid competence in technologies, tools and methods in own specialist area through solving complex industrial problems. Maintains recognized expertise in specific area by externally reviewing current technologies. Determines effective applications, equipment and methods to develop, market or manufacture new products or new software to respond tocustomer requirements cost effectively.
• Technology direction - Contributes to the development of strategic technology plans and projectportfolio in own organization.
• Innovation and creativity - Performs a variety of complex technology/engineering assignments, which typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques.
• Projects, processes and tools - Demonstrates sound working knowledge of relevant processes and tools and can train junior team members when needed. Acts as a project leader or experienced project member.
• R&D context - Ensures has solid understanding of the drivers, as well as state-of-the art technologies, tools and methods in own competence area. Actively seeks and implements initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge transfer - Serves as a subject matter expert to the project, providing guidance to colleagues and more junior team members, acting as a mentor and sharing lessons learned.
• Network and visibility - Provides consulting services to business operations and customers within own area of expertise. Represents own group/team in Engineering forums, both internal and external to ABB.
• Intellectual property (IP) and risk management - Has overview of IP in own specialist area and develops project IP strategies. Identifies and manages risks in research and development (R&D) projects as well as in own organization.
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of Mechanical Product design.
• Experience in Medium Voltage ANSI / IEC Switchgear / MCC design.
• Strong background in Mechanical Design.
• ANSI Switchgear standards knowledge.
• Type Testing knowledge at independent labs.
• Solid works or equivalent 3D software experience.
• Excellent oral, writing and documentation skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Technical leadership ability.
• Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities.
• Willing to relocate to Lake Mary, FL.
Location:Lake Mary, Florida, USA
Business unit:Distribution Solutions
Job function:Research and Development
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally.