Provides technical leadership on multi-modality imaging instruments and software (optical, X-ray, preferably ultrasound), with a strong focus on 3D tomography techniques. Guides instrument and software R&D projects in the In Vivo Imaging field, and provides expert support to customers, the field organization and operations. Serves as the technical lead in R&D projects, taking responsibility for the scientific background, system architecture, and development approach.
Builds and maintains connections to external experts and potential collaborators and manages academic and commercial external collaborations as driven by project and business needs. Works cross-functionally with adjacent R&D functions as well as product management, marketing, sales, service, operations, and finance in support of the new product developments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide in-depth technical expertise and technical leadership on multi-modality imaging (optical, X-ray, ultrasound), covering fundamental physics, systems engineering, numerical modelling, and image reconstruction algorithms
- Contribute imaging expertise to the development of new products and sustaining engineering of an existing, market-leading product portfolio, from feasibility studies through planning, design and implementation
- Act as the Technical Lead for in-vivo imaging sub-projects or multi-disciplinary instrument development projects.
- Provide expert support on imaging technology to support customers, the field organization and operations
- Build, maintain and develop strong competencies optical and non-optical imaging modalities, as driven by business and project needs. Identify skill gaps, develop and execute plan to fill these.
- In alignment with R&D leadership and product management, publish results in technical or application notes or peer-reviewed publications
- Monitor external developments and academic progress in the field; attend key conferences
- Support team members in their professional development by regular coaching and through the LEAD process.
- Align closely with adjacent R&D functions as well as product management, marketing, sales, service, operations, and finance.
- Manage 3rd party development efforts and external academic or commercial collaborations.
- PhD in Physics or an adjacent science or engineering discipline
- 8+ years professional experience in a commercial instrument development environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamentals and technical implementation requirements for optical and X-ray imaging and tomography. Experience with ultrasound is an advantage.
- Project management training and experience.
- Experience in managing external engineering resources.
- Experience in project leadership for technology and instrument development programs
- > 10 years professional experience in a commercial instrument development environment
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills
- Structured thinker, strong analytical and planning skills
- Strong communicator