Farnam Companies, a division of Central Garden & Pet is searching for an R&D Project Manager to develop products for the Farnam (farnam.com), Vita Flex (vitaflex.com),and Horse Health (horsehealth.com) product lines. Reporting to the Director R&D for our FDA & Nutritional Products, the Project Manager will coordinate the development of new product entities from their inception through commercialization. He/she may work on projects and/or products requiring approval, licensing, or registration by a Federal or state regulatory body, e.g., FDA, APHIS, NASC, AAFCO or EPA. Successful product development is fostered by a team-oriented environment and requires the Project Manager to integrate and coordinate successful participation by all project stakeholders during product development phases. This position will be based from our Phoenix, AZ office.
Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ:CENT and CENTA), is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet, lawn and garden supplies markets. This position specifically supports the Farnam, Vita Flex and Horse Health brands within the Central Life Sciences (CLS) business unit; CLS focuses on improving the health, well-being, and the protection of companion animals, economic animals, plants, stored grains and the environment.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- The PM will initiate and assist with the development of products and processes with all intra and extramural functional areas (Formulations, Analytical Chemistry, Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs, Legal, Quality Assurance, Marketing, New Product Development, Technical Services, Procurement and Production) and coordinate the activities of these various functions for both intra and extramural sources
- He/she will formulate comprehensive development plans for each new proposed product and work closely during development of product to assure that all parties involved are informed of time schedules and critical deadlines
- The PM will design and write protocols for laboratory, pre-clinical and clinical safety, and efficacy studies to gain information that will lead to regulatory approval (if required) and successful commercialization of product and select suitable research facilities and qualified researchers to execute protocols
- He/she will initiate and monitor studies according to current federal regulations and company policies and analyze and interpret results of studies, write study reports and prepare data for submission to regulatory agencies, where appropriate
- The PM will provide technical support to Marketing Department before and after product launch and review existing and new product labels as requested by Marketing and/or Regulatory/Legal Departments
- Collaborate with New Business Development and Marketing to investigate potential products and proposed product concepts for possible development in the U.S. and internationally
- Work closely with Regulatory Affairs and other departments, (e.g. Procurement, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Marketing) to assure that a product meets company requirements and applicable regulations
- Participate in non-R&D related activities such as QA/Regulatory compliance, revisions or creation of new Standard Operating Procedures
- Attend scientific meetings, continuing education courses and keep abreast of professional publications and newest developments in the animal industry
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Our PM will have a Master of Science (MS) degree in Animal Sciences at minimum. Applicants with advanced degrees (PhD, DVM) are encouraged
- Knowledge of NASC and AAFCO regulation of animal feeds, supplements and feed ingredients is preferred
- The PM must have 5-10 years in animal health product development project management experience with a proven track record of success
- Excellent computer software skills, to include word processing, spreadsheets and database management. Current environment is Microsoft Office
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to effectively operate in a team environment with both internal and external collaborators
- Must have excellent leadership skills as demonstrated by the ability to elicit superior performance from other stakeholders, many of whom are not technically trained and may not understand the regulatory and/or scientific basis for certain project management activities
- Detail orientated
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Strong project management skills required
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Office environment with travel to manufacturing sites, contract research organizations, universities, as required. Travel will typically be domestic and via air. Some weekend travel will be expected, but will generally be to attend conferences or conduct other activities in which weekend travel is unavoidable (roughly between 10-40%)
- May occasionally need to lift up to 25 pounds.