Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB Distribution Solutions are a global leader in power distribution solutions, delivering pioneering low and medium-voltage innovations and services. We care about your tomorrow, providing solutions for a smarter, safer, environmentally friendly and more reliable flow and distribution of electricity.
Our R&D engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works, and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders. Our Pinetops engineering development and manufacturing plant is the leading provider of control and protection devices for electrical power systems - medium voltage instrument transformers & sensors, overhead distribution cutouts and outdoor switches.
As R&D Project Manager, you will provide technical leadership in new and sustaining product development, supporting our highly successful MV fused cutouts and outdoor switches product line. Utilizing your strong engineering project management skills, you'll lead cross-functional teams and will collaborate closely with product managers, sales application and test engineers, supply chain & manufacturing operations to design and deliver improved products that provide extreme value to our customers, and are commercially successful for ABB.
- Develop and analyze product requirement specifications directly from customers and from our product management and sales teams to provide and recommend product configuration design models as developed by your project team.
- Lead engineering projects with a strong delivery mindset, ensuring project plans, design, test & user documentation, product cost estimates, risk mitigation techniques, and operating procedures are fully implemented and effectively executed, including high quality reporting on projects status
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional departments and team members including Engineering, Product Management, Supply Chain Management, Laboratory, Technical Services, Operations, and Quality Control
- Ensure the preparation of the technical documents required for the developed products (e.g., drawings, bill of material, assembly instructions, test instructions, configurators)
- Coordinate the activities related to the developed products industrialization and know-how transfer from R&D to mass production
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering degree preferred) is required, Master's degree is considered an advantage, with a minimum of 8+ years (5+ years in case of Master's degree) of experience in product design and sustaining engineering of electrical power systems in a high-volume production environment
- Direct experience in medium voltage or high voltage switching product or fuse designs and applications either in a protection products design/manufacturing environment or in a power utility is strongly preferred
- Must possess strong project management skills with demonstrated capability to meet project deadlines and deliver excellent product design models and product development plans in alignment with approved budget allocation.
- PM certification is required as well as experience in managing stage-gate projects using waterfall project methodology; Additional experience using Agile product development methodology is a plus.
- Having direct experience in both protection and control product development within an industrial manufacturer and in a large power utility environment is highly desirable
- Experience with protection products testing is desirable
- Must have ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution - creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let's write the future, together.