Albemarle Tyrone is looking for an R&D Manager to join our R&D team. The R&D Manager will be responsible for managing the R&D Group, offering lab support for the current commercial products, aiding in the process development for new products to enable scale-up to the kilo lab, pilot plant, and full scale production settings, and evaluating product opportunities by performing chemical literature searches and providing cost estimates and business support.
The position requires a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry and 5-10 years of relevant work experience in API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) , RSM (Regulatory Starting Materials) or fine chemical process development. The successful candidate must be a highly productive, results oriented individual capable of generating and implementing original ideas and solutions that contribute materially to the success and development of Fine Chemicals or RSMs. Strong communication, organization, and planning skills; and a high level of technical expertise and creativity are required for success in this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for Process Support for current commercial products
- Responsible for defining, developing, and demonstrating commercially viable processes for custom products with a focus on developing economical and robust processes while minimizing waste streams
- Sound understanding of synthetic organic chemistry fundamentals, advanced technical knowledge and experience in process development, process scale-up, troubleshooting, and optimization
- Familiarity with modern laboratory instrumentation (HPLC, GC, FTIR, DSC, NMR, HPLC/MS, etc.)
- Ability to design and develop novel synthetic routes that can be scaled to kilo lab or plant assets
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and have the ability to interact, lead, and collaborate within an Interdisciplinary team environment
- Ability to evaluate new product opportunities and complete cost estimates in a timely manner
- Proven ability in problem solving and multi-tasking
- High Achiever / Self-starter / Strong Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to balance individual and team responsibilities
- Highly organized with excellent communication skills - verbal and written
- Familiarity with Quality by Design concepts
- Experience with project management
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry required
- 5-10 plus years of experience in fine chemical process development, troubleshooting and optimization required
- Experience in API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) , RSM (Regulatory Starting Materials) will be highly preferred
- Strong background with Organic synthesis
- Good Communication skills and ability to interface efficiently with customers