Purpose of Position
This self-leader within Timken’s Research & Development team provides expert knowledge and leadership in manufacturing process technology related to machining and/or grinding of ferrous and/or ceramic materials. He/she must possess a solid understanding of the fundamental science of machining and/or abrasive processes. In this critical role, he/she will develop to provide input to the long-term manufacturing strategy, ensuring full alignment of the process technology roadmap, and a personal drive to affect advancements along that roadmap. In addition, this position will evolve to become a widely-recognized manufacturing process authority and consultant in formulating and directing efforts within Timken to solve problems of exceptional difficulty and significance.
- Provides technical consultation to the business units on manufacturing strategy development.
- Interprets the long-term manufacturing strategy of the company and helps define and negotiate those process development activities that are required to support the strategy.
- Contributes to and maintains a well-articulated and approved 5-year process technology roadmap and supports execution of tactics that deliver the expected value to the business.
- Acts as an ambassador for Timken externally to the company and represents Timken at appropriate external institutions (e.g. CIRP, NAMRC, and MSEC).
- Provides technical support to major process development tactics as well as formally leads major projects with the support of a cross-matrixed team.
- Maintains awareness of all relevant, developing processing technologies that could be of interest to the company, raises awareness of those technologies, and provides impact assessments at the earliest opportunity.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Thorough knowledge and effective application of machining and/or abrasive/grinding processes on ferrous and/or ceramic materials.
- Knowledge of the interactions of processes at different stages of production.
- Knowledge and application of PFMEA process and analysis requirements.
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing requirements.
- Understanding of manufacturing costing and impact of process elements.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- PhD in Manufacturing Technology, Engineering, or Science
- 3-5 years of experience in manufacturing process development (preferred)