James Hardie Research
Our Global Research & Product Development (R&PD) teams are focused on market driven innovation to deliver high impact new products that enable future growth. Our teams provide a continuous pipeline of innovative new products and technologies, while leveraging James Hardie’s core value propositions of durability and low maintenance. Our role is to act as the technology pipeline for the global organization and ensure long-term performance of our products in current and future markets.
We have an immediate opening for a Sr. Engineer, New Product Innovation. As member of the North America New Product Innovation (NPI) Group, this role will coordinate day to day activities related to the New Production Innovation Process (Discovery, Concept Feasibility, Development, Implementation, Post-implementation). This includes activities related to, but not limited to, market feedback, product development, process development, production validation, manufacturing scale-up, commercialization testing and regulatory compliance.
The role will manage the activities listed in the project timelines and monitoring the output of all project participants (including co-workers, contract manufacturers and consultants).
The successful candidate will plan and implement specified and collaborative projects, particularly new product development projects, and keep them on schedule from start to completion date.
- Coordinate / manage all aspects within new product development project
- Lead coordination, tracking, and reporting of multiple project schedules within a fast-paced product development environment
- Responsible for organizing and driving all technical activities (R&PD, quality, manufacturing, engineering, commercial) related to the commercialization of new products; from customer interviews to mass production:
- Support market research activities through timely development of prototypes at various scales (renderings, 3d rapid prototypes, full scale façade walls)
- Act as the product expert in market research
- Create the specification to product requirements based on Voice of Customer and Designed for Manufacture
- Deliver technical solutions that meet above needs; and validate Customer Acceptance & Manufacturing Capability
- Implement in current & new James Hardie manufacturing processes to enable product launch at scale and cost
- Critically review technical work product (capability studies, DOEs, stack-up tolerance reviews) and provide feedback to the product development team
- Communicate project status & project risk within global Research & Development, across business functions and across multiple levels in the organization
- Bring forth new product concepts by distilling market insights stemming from customer interactions and analysis of industry macro trends
- Identify, prioritize and manage cross-functional initiatives to improve manufacturability & market acceptance of product
- Coaching of junior team members in both technical and project management principles
- Cross-functional consultation to provide product leadership amongst technology, engineering, manufacturing, marketing and commercialization professionals
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with ability to interface effectively with others at all levels of the organization, ranging from senior vice presidents to manufacturing floor teams
- Knowledge of market research feedback analysis principles (eg. Quality Function Deployment, House of Quality, KJ Analysis, etc)
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing principles (eg. Kaizen, 6-Sigma, JIT, Set-up Reduction, Theory of Constraints, etc)
- Knowledge of technical risk, problem solving & decision-making tools (eg, FMEA, KT-Analysis, KJ Analysis, DOE, etc)
- Proficient in communicating using 2D drafting / sketching tools; eg, product assemblies, concept sketching, stack-up tolerances, GD&T
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Project
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate and listen effectively at all levels
- Self-motivated with high sense of urgency, resourcefulness and adaptability
- Strong customer orientation
- Teamwork spirit, continuous improvement and servant leader mind set
- Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering discipline such as Mechanical, Product Design, Manufacturing, Industrial, Civil, Chemical, or other technical related fields.
- This person must have extensive working knowledge of product design, functional specification and new product implementation in a high-volume manufacturing environment. Market-side experience in Product Introduction / Launches is preferable.
The ideal person should have 5+ years of managing product development workflows, from market research through market release; with 8+ years in general industry / product design experience.
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.