Careers That Change Lives See More
Engineers create our market-leading portfolio of innovations. Join us to make a lasting impact.
Design, develop and provide technical expertise in the research and development (R&D) of peripheral embolization medical devices from conception. Support engineering teams through planning, prototyping, literature review, performing testing and analysis, and troubleshooting. Partner with Quality, internal Manufacturing, Suppliers, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, and other key functions to achieve business goals.
This role is an individual contributor within Medtronic's Peripheral Vascular Health operating unit, which employs the full breadth of our talent, technologies, products, services, and solutions to address the needs of customers and patients across the globe. We focus on transforming global vascular disease management.
A Day in A Life
As a R&D Engineer II, you will focus on delivering R&D to new therapies, while adhering to policies using specialized knowledge and skills. The role requires effective management and prioritization of multiple concurrent tasks in an ambiguous environment. Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Develop and coordinate small projects, as asked by the project team, with supervision from higher level engineering;
- Assist in developing customer and product specifications;
- Develop, troubleshoot, qualify, and/or validate fixtures, equipment, and test methods utilized to evaluate product design;
- Assist in preparing engineering drawings with specifications and tolerances;
- Create test plans/protocols, build prototypes, perform testing, and analyze and document results;
- Process engineering change orders;
- Assist in developing Failure Modes, Effects, and Criticality Analyses;
- Present technical findings or task status to cross functional teams through meeting minutes, presentations, design reviews and other means of communication;
- Perform job functions in accordance with applicable GMP and ISO standards;
- Maintain required documentation per GDP procedures.
Must Have - Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree required with 2+ years of experience or Advanced Degree with 0+ years of experience.
Nice to Have
- Degree related to Bio-engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Science & Engineering;
- Minimum 1 year experience in medical device industry with Class II or III product systems, preferably with vascular therapies, products, and technologies (e.g. disposable syringes, catheters, liquid embolics);
- Working knowledge of rapid prototyping and product design;
- Experience with equipment and fixture development and qualification, test method development and validation, and design verification and validation testing;
- Experience with medical device material characterization and selection (e.g. polymers, ceramics);
- Ability to compile, organize, and communicate technical data using Excel, Word, Visio, and PowerPoint;
- Experience using statistical techniques (e.g. DOE, Monte Carlo, ANOVA, Gage R&R, or Six Sigma tools and principles);
- Experience using common engineering software (e.g. CAD - SolidWorks, Statistical - Minitab or JMP, MATLAB, PLM - Agile, Enovia or Windchill).
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
Valid through: 11/6/2021