We're seeking an experienced R & D Chemist who will develop chemical products and product applications with little supervision and guidance. S/he will design and test of various analytical equipment, subassemblies, and chemical formulations for use with Hach's systems for analysis
- Use recognized, expert skill in developing new chemical methods of analysis for use on Hach instrumentation through independent research. Actively demonstrate expert level knowledge of a wide range of analytical techniques, methods, chemical principles and laboratory practices during the development of new analysis products.
- Use deep technical knowledge to develop new applications for existing products to expand market and product base. Exhibit solid practical experience while working closely with marketing in commercialization of new product or application launches.
- Write chemical analysis procedures for incorporation into methods manuals. Support efforts to write and/or edit product manuals and procedures.
- Generate formularies and quality control procedures for new test reagents.
- Apply solid practical experience with methods for gathering and interpreting customer VOC. Monitor technical and competitive trends in the field. Investigate technical concepts and market needs then defines product requirements for new analytical products.
- Apply teaching level experience acting as project manager on method development projects and ensures that product implementation is timely and successful.
- Present and/or publishe technical or application-focused papers, notes, poster sessions, seminars, etc. to aid in promotion of company’s technical image and to help promote company marketing efforts.
- Support and travel to key account and selected field sites to determine market applications and needs. Utilize established industry contacts.
- Provide direction to engineering teams and individuals regarding chemical aspects of instrument development.
- Coordinate the work and activities of others on large projects to insure efficiency.
- Supervisory duties may include chemistry technicians or interns.
- Prepare calibrations for Hach chemistries for use on Hach instrumentation.
- Review project and calibration reports written by others, to insure technical accuracy.
- Write summary reports of development work completed to keep company personnel informed of project status.
- Review technical journals and competitive literature to maintain company competitiveness.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook to record laboratory work performed.
- Provide assistance to customers and Customer Service Department to resolve analysis questions.
- Interact with other departments to supply product and analysis information.
- Demonstrate teaching level experience in assisting manufacturing associates with chemistry-related items to facilitate production efficiency.
- Assist with general laboratory and stockroom maintenance to help maintain department efficiency.
- Adhere to the company’s Quality System, through proper use of departmental procedures.
- Apply solid practical understanding of the application of model markets including market size, potential, and share.
- Translate market understanding into a new product development or applications projects.
- Apply understanding of the need for and use of return on investment calculations, overhead calculations, and general accounting.
Education, Background and Skill Requirements
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or degree in related field with
- Minimum of 7 years of directly relevant experience
- Detailed knowledge of ISO quality systems (specifically Design Controls/Product Realization) and related requirements.
- Demonstrated skill in the areas required to perform this job:
- recognized expert level ability for chemistry skills, analytical laboratory techniques, practices, and procedures. Superior understanding of chemical principles. Strong analytical skills
- deep industry Technical Applications Knowledge
- solid, practical Cross-Technical Knowledge (Adjacent Discipline)
- teaching level Chemical and/or Electromechanical Manufacturing understanding
- solid practical VOC and Product Definition ability
- established solid Industry Contacts and participation in Industry
- teaching level presentation skills and ability to translate technical information to lay people
- solid practical experience in Business Development
- solid practical experience in Commercialization
- teaching level Project Management and Business Systems skills
- solid practical leadership of people and change management skills.