Purpose: The primary purpose of this position is to increase Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) science contributions and help manage research across the Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DoD) and related Intelligence Community (IC) mission areas. This position entails scientific, engineering, and management leadership in the area of cyber-physical systems (such as critical infrastructure, IoT, mobile devices, or vehicular systems). The successful candidate will investigate technical capabilities and help manage execution of the ORNL Cyber Security programs and projects in support of national, DoE, DoD, IC, and homeland protection requirements. Specific focus is towards the development of cyber-physical systems security capabilities.
- Support national security agendas as they relate to the protection of national energy assets and critical infrastructure.
- Assist in the development of research proposals related to critical infrastructure protection and cyber-physical security.
- Promote ORNL/partners cyber security research and development capabilities as they apply to the national security community.
- Maintain knowledge currency of national-level cyber security research and development requirements.
- Generate plans, proposals, budgets, and strategy for cyber security programs, applications and issues.
- Provide scientific and technical advice for national level cyber security issues and ORNL programs.
- Present briefings and instruction to technical audiences, leadership and sponsors on cyber security issues, research, and programs.
- Identify and articulate ORNL capabilities and customer requirements to internal and external technical audiences, leadership, and sponsors.
- Maintain awareness and understanding of open cyber security research conducted throughout the DOE complex and the world.
- PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Math or related IT discipline Familiarity with industrial control systems, programmable logic controllers, micro-controllers, and embedded devices.
- Familiar with most and be proficient with at least one of the following C, C++, python, MATLAB and IDA Pro.
- A fundamental understanding of cyber security methods, tools, and operational applications, and the ability to apply cyber security technical knowledge is necessary – in particular, hardware and software reverse engineering.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to acquire new knowledge and learn new skills, along with superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to proactively work independently and as a member of a team.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” security clearance and a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance based on Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 704 requirements. Additionally, all employees are required to successfully complete an employee evaluation, including a Counterintelligence scope polygraph examination.