Lead end-to-end execution of analytics projects, including model development, documentation and deployment. Projects may include, but not be limited to,risk model development,risk grade assessment and monitoring, delinquency and default estimation, customer attrition, credit line management, stress testing/lossforecasting, pricing, loss severity, loss reserving,portfolio management, interest rate derivatives hedging, and mortgage servicing. This position may also lead model validation efforts to review and validatethese tools after they have been developed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Hire, supervise and coach quantitative analysts. Provide mentoring and training to accelerate development of technical, modeling process and business knowledge.
2. Facilitate effective corporate governance and oversight through active participation in the management of the model lifecycle. Develop, maintain and supervise monitoring, performance reporting, and change-management processes. Work with stakeholders to ensure models fulfill the business objectives set for them.
3. Act as an effective advocate to ensure user understanding and acceptance of models and analysis, including written and verbal presentations to model users, stakeholders, managers and oversight groups.
4. Ensure projects and processes comply with BB&T requirements for model documentation, validation and other policy requirements; manage validation issue remediation and work performed to address validation recommendations.
5. Meet with, and make presentations to, Bank and Bank Holding Company regulators, as requested. Provide credible, well-documented evidence supporting validity of models for intended use. Support regulatory examinations and requests.
6. Meet with and respond to inquiries from internal and external audit teams. Ensure models and processes are in compliance with applicable guidance and standards.
7. Direct (perform as necessary) other analytical activities, as requested by Executive Management.
8. Participate on cross-functional teams to support organizational objectives, as required. Negotiate positive outcomes through interactions with senior management, business partners and assurance functions.
9. Continuously broaden and deepen expertise in analytical and management methods via self-directed research and training.
10. For model validation roles, provide guidance and feedback for analyst validation reports, ensure model validation plans and timelines are met and provide model and model governance updates and status for the Chief Model Risk Officer and Executive Management.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Actuarial Science, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, or other applied quantitative science, or equivalent education and related training
2. Eight years of relevant experience, or equivalent financial industry experience developing, documenting, implementing, or validating quantitative models
3. Seven years SAS experience with demonstrated application to large data problems of Data Step, SQL, SAS Macros, and relevant statistical procedures
4. Strong work ethic; promote and conduct continued development of personal and associate knowledge base and technical skills
5. Recruit, maintain, and manage a team of quantitative analysts; delegate effectively to resolve organizational requirements
6. Ability to distill complex mathematical concepts into actionable results for senior management
7. Effectively communicate and manage competing organizational priorities
8. Strong written and verbal communication skills
9. Strong problem solving skills
10. Ability to manage projects and teams to successful outcomes
11. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products
12. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Master’s degree/PhD
2. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation
3. BB&T Leadership Institute – Mastering Leadership Dynamics (FARR)