The Quality and Technical Systems Manager will be responsible for developing a culture of actively engaged people. Responsibilities also include customer satisfaction, quality assurance functions, product specifications, fit for use testing, product development, coating formulations and inventory management. This position will be a key member of senior mill staff and will provide leadership and strategic focus to all technical, quality and cultural facets of the operation.
How you will impact WestRock
· Develop a team of actively engaged people in the quality area and throughout the mill.
· Regularly advises or interprets information for supervisors/managers/operators and suppliers. Communicate with stakeholders to ensure quality requirements are understood on all shifts.
· Manage and maintain successful quality operations (lab operations, testing equipment, highly engaged quality team).
· Design and implement specifications and fit for use tests that meet customer needs.
· Actively build and maintain successful customer relations (customer visits, complaint management). Act as technical resource for customers (troubleshooting, optimization, training and education).
· Resolve customer complaints with focus on operator education, prevention of repeat problems and cost containment.
· Develop operational strategic plans and best practices that ensure the operating teams are achieving the mill’s quality, cost and customer satisfaction objectives.
· Advance quality systems for continuous improvement, certifications, customer regulatory letters, and product stewardship.
· Perform trials as needed to ensure our products are meeting the objectives of efficiency improvements and customer’s needs. Work with corporate research, mill operations, and vendors concerning trials.
· Effectively manage raw materials (includes ordering, delivery, storage, and inventory of process and coating chemicals).
What you need to succeed
· Must have demonstrated leadership around safety and support the mill’s safety initiatives.
· Knowledge in paper manufacturing operation, coating technology, quality/assurance, and statistical process control
· Need to possess a strong sense of urgency with a high level of attention to detail and maintain accurate, timely results
· Strong leadership skills focused on accountability and results with strong organization and planning skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills essential as position regularly requires advising, recommending, counseling, exchanging information, selling, persuading, influencing within all levels of the organization.
· Ability to effectively interact with external customers and vendors.
· Bachelor’s degree in Technical field such as Chemical Engineering, Paper Engineering
· At least 5-10 years’ experience in paper operations
· Able and willing to work nights, weekends and on call to meet operational needs.
· Must have excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
· Proficient computer skills (including MS Office,).
· Must be eligible to work in the United States.
What we offer
· Corporate culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Comprehensive training with numerous learning and development opportunities
· An attractive salary reflecting skills, competencies and potential
· A career with a global packaging company where Sustainability, Safety and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.