Perform duties required to establish product standards for the company: responsible for developing and administering the company quality control programs, including the Quality Management system; ensure that customers receive prompt replies to their quality concerns; supervise and direct activities of QC staff and machine shop inspection personnel; maintains suite of metrics to show trends and opportunities for improvement; perform related activities; perform other duties as directed. Overall responsibility for development, administration and oversight for Weir Pump and Valve Solutions. Ensures the Company meets its objectives while maintaining compliance with (1) operational regulatory authorities including OSHA, Environmental and other Federal and State Governments.
Objectives & Measurement - Key Responsibilities
Including but not limited to:
- This position supervises up to 7-8 direct reports.
- Responsible for Environmental, Health and Safety management and policy commitments as prescribed for this role in Weir’s Duty of Care.
- Responsible for developing and administering the company Quality Management System.
- Direct and coordinate the overall quality specifications and standards for raw materials, processes and finished products.
- Develop Quality Control Plan or process control procedures that will ensure production of finished products which meet quality specifications and standards.
- Contact customers and suppliers to confer on specific quality problems; ensure that established quality control procedures and policies are coordinated throughout the organization; ensure compliance with government regulations.
- Supervise and direct activities of QC staff and machine shop inspection personnel provide the environment, necessary training and assistance to each employee supervised to permit growth and development.
- Organize and/or facilitate teams to attack specific quality issues in true root cause problem solving fashion; establish and lead a customer complaint team that addresses corrective actions relative to customer complaints and concerns associated with, but not limited to, product quality and packaging errors; visit customers as needed.
- Address supplier quality issues and risks; establish and maintain a formal feedback system to capture, communicate and resolve quality issues; lead PPAP, APQP and Sample Approval Process to assure timely and appropriate quality results for new products; work with Purchasing Department personnel to continually improve supplier performance; visit suppliers as needed.
- Assure a safe workplace through employee involvement, risk reduction and incident follow up to root cause elimination.
- Develop the quality strategy aligned to the annual business operating plan, involving the team to gain ownership in the expectations; then be accountable for results.
- Develops initiates, maintains, and revises policies and procedures for the general operation of the Company Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Collaborates with other departments (e.g., Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Sales, Operations, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Maintains appropriate relations with authoritative personnel at all regulatory agencies and facilitates visits of those personnel to our facilities.
- Responds to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and Standards of Conduct by evaluating, or recommending the initiation of, investigative procedures. Develops and oversees systems for handling of violations.
- Acts as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
- Monitors and, as necessary, coordinates compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, develops/implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Chairs the ISO Management meeting to keep senior management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Ensures proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
- Works with the Human Resources Department and others as appropriate to maintain an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for identified employees and managers.
- Monitors the performance of the Compliance Program and relates activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
Job Knowledge / Education and Qualifications
Education and/or Experience:
Requires a Bachelor Degree in Business-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Masters Degree is a plus. Lean or Six Sigma certification is a plus. Requires a minimum of five years manufacturing experience to satisfactorily perform the requirements of the position, which includes time in a Quality discipline and working within a certified quality management system
Certification in environmental, safety or industrial hygiene
Training or knowledge of Emergency Response procedures (Haz-Mat, confined space rescue, etc.)
Advanced knowledge of ES&H regulations (OSHA, EPA, DOT, etc.)
Communication excellence for verbal, written and presentation success
Strategic and systemic competencies to effectively drive continuous improvement
Analytical ability for problem-solving, making decisions and taking calculated risks within limits of established policy without guidance unless clarification or interpretation of policy is involved Interpretation ability for instructions furnished in written or oral form
Computer Skills: Personal computer, ERP/MRP, SAP, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), telephone, scanning
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, stoop or crouch, kneel, talk and hear, climb stairs.
The employee must exert up to 5 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects
Specific vision abilities required by this job include clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more, judge distance and space relationships, bring object into sharp focus, and see up and down or to right or left while fixed on point
Good working conditions with periodic exposure to any number of manufacturing conditions or elements, PPE required.