Manages and directs the quality assurance program at the Kansas City, KS facility. Monitors Production Department's conformance with QA standards and procedures. Conducts quality assurance training for employees engaged in materials handling or product assembly. Suggests and assists with the implementation of methods for improving product quality, design, and manufacturing processes. Voice of the customer to make sure customer expectations are met. Ensures that the facility is in compliance with plant and product certifications under ISO 9001:2008, NAHB, UL and Greenguard. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Coordinate quality activities at the facility to include product testing, auditing, reporting, training and compliance with specifications.
- Provide training and leadership in troubleshooting, including root cause analysis (RCA).
- Ensure there is a repeatable standard that clearly and concisely defines how work will be done and when. Ensure the standard is visually posted. Ensure there is a system in place to measure sustainment and performance and what to do if non-compliance occurs.
- Assist with Hot End Managers and Process Engineers maintaining a data reporting program to validate that each plant’s Key Processes are under control and meeting target while identifying opportunities for improvement. Produce Pareto Charts on QF4’s and QF5’s to give direction to Process Group on what is the biggest issue to work on.
- Ensure raw materials and finished goods are meeting specifications as designed by CertainTeed quality standards for materials, product and plant procedures and policies.
- Evaluate quality complaint trends, so as to address quality issues early. Utilize quick Kaizen events where possible.
- Publish Key Performance Indicators utilizing a Balanced Scoreboard in their plant providing a daily review with Production Staff.
- Posting KPI’s a minimum of monthly on a quality bulletin board.
- Lead a monthly teleconference meeting with the Group Quality Manager to discuss customer complaints, last month performance, future quality projects, and other quality matters. Review QF1-QF5’s and last month performance during monthly Operations review.
- Assist with investigations, securing product sampling and post Quality Bulletins on customer complaints involving all key personnel to change the process so that the matter does not repeat itself resulting in lost customers. Interact with customers and vendors (audits, projects, complaint resolution, site visits, plant visits, etc.)
- Maintain samples from complaints for 1 year and keep a log of samples available upon request. Lead countermeasures involving Kaizen events, etc. in order to make the changes sustainable.
- Complete items identified during Quality Benchmarks/Audits at each plant and review project list monthly with Staff until list is completed.
- Review and develop improvement programs and cost reductions in the quality department
Plant Support / Other
- Actively support the plant’s safety, 5S, and other WCM initiatives
- Coordinate customer and material site visits with key individuals to see and evaluate product.
- Coordinate the ISO 9001:2008 activities, compliance and certification.
- Coordinate certification activities for NAHB, UL and Greenguard.
- Conduct competitive audits with product to measure strengths and weaknesses of the product in comparison to other products.
- Bachelor of Science, preferable, in a technical or science discipline
- 5 years experience in a quality or process control function
- Should be familiar with most areas of a production environment and how they interrelate with the quality realm.
- Working knowledge of computers and cost accounting principles are recommended.
- Knowledge of quality, product and process standards and statistical process control.
- Strong PC Skills needed, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills.
- Mathematical skills necessary to fulfill position requirements: SPC, DOE, statistical analysis, structural analysis, etc.
- Knowledge of ISO implementation
- Able to lead small to medium sized cross functional teams under high pressure environments
- Proven ability to design, manage, and implement projects of a technical nature
- Demonstrated high performance history; proven ability to execute and get results
- Safety programs and auditing including SMAT audits, compliance to safety standards, Job Safety Analysis, Risk Reductions, etc.
- ISO9001: 2008 certification and retention, work instructions, checklists, policies and procedures
- Customer satisfaction index, PQR performance, customer complaints, and other related quality performance metrics
- Quality auditing
- Time and material efficiency, along with other operational metrics
- Continuous improvement
- Cost control (CCNNE, raw material procedures, inventory management) and productivity