Reporting to the Regional Quality Manager, the Plant Quality Assurance Manager is accountable to ensure that manufactured products and raw material supplies meet required specifications. Also, the Plant Quality Assurance Managerinvestigates product complaints and performs quality improvement reviews, competitive testing, and aids in the incorporation of the Voice of the Customer into the manufacturing process. This position supports CertainTeed's Gypsum’s Vision, Mission, and Objectives by promoting, facilitating, leading, and managing all aspects of quality assurance efforts within the plant.
The QA Manager works with the plant to create and exploit a sustainable competitive advantage through the implementation of world-class quality principles in all products and processes while striving for Six Sigma defect levels. This position leads and guides the plant in the daily activities necessary to drive a quality culture. The Plant Quality Managerworks closely with the Plant Manager to ensure quality objectives are built into plant goals and objectives. The Plant Quality Manager is responsible for ensuring that all products leaving the plant meet the necessary code, ASTM requirements, UL specifications, and product labeling as described in the marketing literature.
Major areas of responsibility include (not in order of priority)
- Manufacturing Quality Systems
- Direct Supervision of Plant Lab Technician(s)
- Product Specifications and Standards - Including new product development
- Defining and applying basic sampling techniques (e.g. random, stratified, etc.) and when sampling is appropriate
- Own, train, and monitor the control and reaction plans.
- Selecting and applying advanced statistical methods and quality tools (e.g. hypothesis testing, Analysis of Variance, SIPOC, and Design of Experiments) in conjunction with the QPC Pillar, Technical Services and Central Engineering.
- Support plant in the management of product master formulations, product and raw material specifications through the use of corporate and internal change management systems
- Participation in Gypsum Quality Meetings / Forums
- Interface with Vendors, Sales, and Suppliers on Quality Related Issues
- Maintain Group Quality Certification Processes (if applicable)
- Special Order Assessment
- The planning, implementation and maintenance of the facility’s Quality System in keeping with the Q&PC pillar steps and WCM requirements
- Provide production supervisors and operators with information and training to help them perform their jobs and make correct quality related decisions. Leading and providing expertise in the completion of needs assessments, competency based training and follow up for all facility personnel and appropriate Quality and inspection methodologies in support of people development
- Identify quality improvement opportunities
- Analyze customer complaints and develop/ implement recommendations for corrective action
- Work with Corporate to evaluate new raw material suppliers
30% of time - The Plant’s Total Quality Process
- Lead, foster, and recognize the continual expansion of opportunity for specific quality improvement efforts either through team or individual ventures.
- Enhance and maintain quality performance parameters and assessment mechanisms for manufacturing in order to determine effectiveness of the various quality improvement efforts.
- Lead the plant WCM Q&PC Pillar
- Support local plant in specific efforts for key Quality and Compliance objectives. (e.g. Change Management, Specifications, 3rd Party Suppliers, Raw Materials)
- Monitor Sales’ and Consumer Services feedback on quality concerns and trends.
- Lead the Plant’s quality audit programs
30% of time - Product Quality
- Establish, deploy, and maintain all manufacturing quality systems and performance standards consistent with Group goals and advancing industry expectations.
- Coordinate projects to improve manufactured product quality.
- Participate in CTG’s product standards and specifications management process.
- Continually evaluate, refine, and originate, as appropriate, the policies and practices governing quality functions considering their effectiveness, correctness, proper utilization, and coverage.
- Participate on new product development teams as it pertains to their plant.
25% of time - Leadership and Supervision of Plant Quality Management
- Provide guidance/support for all plant personnel as it relates to quality
- Conduct 1on1, annual performance reviews and goals/objectives for all direct reports.
- Ensure consistency of plant practices in the implementation of the plant quality systems.
- Work with WCM Community on the proper deployment and implementation of the Q&PC pillar.
10% of time - Competitor Evaluation and New Technologies
- Monitor advances in competitor’s products to evaluate advances in quality expectations within the region served by their respective plant.
- Investigate new technologies for improving product quality monitoring
- Ensure Customer Blind Audits are being conducted in plants and feedback is being incorporated into the quality plans
5% of time - Vendor Audits
- Support audits of material suppliers to insure product specifications are being achieved
This position requires independent management functionality in problem-solving, authority definition, and responsibility assumption and/or deployment. Effective problem-solving skills exercised in this role demands a fine balance between pure scientific or materials knowledge, a logical engineering (WCM Tools Approach), collective experience and wisdom, thoughtful intuition coupled with a strong orientation toward action and urgency.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Engineering, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 5-10 Years’ progressive experience in quality engineering, production operations, or engineering.
Supplemental training / training (preferred):
- Advanced quality technologies and implementation
- Six Sigma Problem Solving Methodology or WCM White Cap
- Design of Experiments
- Project management
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- ASQ-CQE certification or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in a team environment
- ISO 9001 certification / training
- Previous experience in gypsum, paper, or continuous manufacturing
This position is a synergistic balance of total quality leadership, quality assurance systems, and customer advocate responsibilities which require broad functionality and agility. This person will have a direct reporting line to the plant Regional Quality Manager and a strong dotted line to the Plant Manager. This position will need to work closely with Plant teams to drive a quality culture into the plants, ensuring VOC is incorporated into manufacturing, while at the same time, meeting all ASTM and industry requirements.
Reference : 567717