The Quality Manager is a member of the plant management team in the Fremont Ohio facility and reports directly to the Plant Manager. In this high profile position, the Quality Manager is chargedwith developing and maintaining a quality and continuous improvement culture across all the plant, as well as a robust Quality management system to ensure that all products manufactured meet or exceed customer specifications and achieve superior quality and reliability levels. He/she will lead an organization that is comprised of approximately 15 individuals, including Quality Engineers, Quality Technicians, and Quality Inspectors.
In order to take advantage of the market opportunity and the current growth mode of the business, the Quality Manager will need to make his/her immediate priorities upon joining to:
- Drastically reduce customer complaints, through a Development and implementation of an action plan which leads to a culture within the organization of a greater sense of urgency to attacking and resolving product quality/reliability issues, specifically with a bias for individual accountability and action, as well as robust root cause analysis and corrective actions implementation.
- Evaluate, assess, and make recommendations specific to the skills and capabilities of the Quality organization.
- Develop a much more proactive, structured, documented, and measurable response system to customer quality inquires and issues, as well as to internal stakeholder inquires
- Design and deploy a Continuous Improvement culture across the plant
- Deploy a culture of quality and process orientation across the organization
The selected candidate will have experience leading quality assurance focused team that is closely aligned and has a measurable impact on the core business strategies. Emphasis is on leadership, continuous improvement skills and culture building that will lead to break-through and self-sustaining capabilities.
Specific Responsibilities but are not limited to:
Continuous Improvement & Change Leadership
- Evangelize and drive development of a culture of continuous quality improvements thereby raising the level of awareness across the entire organization that meeting or exceeding agreed upon customer quality and reliability specifications is mandatory, not optional.
- Implementation of an organizational culture that gets at quality at the source, be it internal (manufacturing floor, operators, supervisors, etc.) or external (suppliers).
- Creates synergies across departments to influence change. Facilitate and drive change in a fast paced and constantly evolving environment
Team & People Development
- Builds and lead a high performance team that flawlessly executes on the Company’s Strategic vision and delivers on the operational objectives
- Set goals and objectives for individuals and teams that drive tangible and measurable improvements key quality related performance indicators.
- Develop and execute training and/or mentoring programs to improve overall product quality
- Coaches and participates in other team member development activities; takes initiatives to develop new techniques and assist with individual and team development
Quality Assurance Management
- Development and implementation of department strategy that anticipates problems and proactively takes/implements corrective action, escalating as needed, to resolve and achieve customer and product commitments.
- Demonstrate significant organizational and process improvements in the areas of:
- Systematic tracking of quality inquiries from inception to closeout
- Reduction in day-to-day firefighting
- Reduction in product defect levels
- Response times to internal or customer quality inquires
- Develop and conduct internal training as needed to address quality issues
- Be the key face for the organization with regulatory bodies
- Develop strong relationships with critical customer stakeholders as well as critical suppliers, adding value to those relationships
- Operate as a key member of the site leadership team in a very visible role within the organization, and will be expected to communicate both upwards and downwards in the organization with clarity and confidence in regards to the development, progress, and resolution of product quality and reliability issues.
Experience / skills required:
- Minimum of 10 years total experience in an industry that transforms a raw material to a finished good such as injection molding, thermo forming, blow molding, casting, metal stamping, textiles, paper or similar type industry
- Competent management experience and daily working knowledge in Quality Management Systems specifically related to customer PPAP, APQP activities, ISO14001, ISO9000, and TS 16946
- 3+ years of experience managing/supervising teams engaged in quality or related functions
- Demonstrate an ability to create and drive and sustain a quality organization that adds measurable value to a customer and a market driven, product centric organization as measured through internal and external stakeholder/customer satisfaction.
- Continuous Improvement tools/methodologies; Six Sigma, Lean, TPM, FMEA and SPC
- Track record of developing a Quality organization that consistently and methodically proactively attacks product quality and reliability
- Experience creating project plans, targets, objectives, etc. on both on program and project basis, and have a track record of gaining acceptance of business cases.
- Successful use of root-cause determination techniques such as 5Whys, 8 Disciplines, Fishbone diagrams, and/or PDCA methodologies.
- Inquisitive, analytical, detail orientated, and able to comfortably multitask while juggling a combination of strategic/longer term programs with tactical/immediate quality operations
- Broad exposure to all business functions, but with a clear ability to connect product quality and reliability improvements to the financial impact on the business.
- Experience and a desire to continue to work in a fast paced environment, and be able to manage a variety of complex projects.
- Excellent communication skills. An ability to persuasively present information both orally and in writing and an ability to make presentations to executive team members as well as to key contacts at major customers.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts, as well as knowledge of applicable statistical tools and models.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, personable and flexible
- Inherently customer focused
- A bias for action
- Drives for results and skilled at overcoming obstacles
- Tenacious and with a high tolerance for stress
- Genuinely likes people and naturally builds relationships
- Excellent at time management for self and others
- Derives personal satisfaction from coaching and developing others
An undergraduatedegree in engineering, manufacturing operations, or quality is required. An advanced degree in engineering or operations management would be a plus.