Google's custom-designed equipment makes up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Manufacturing Operations team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure. As a Quality Engineer, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google’s powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you’re right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google’s infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google’s infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
As a Quality Engineer, you will join the team responsible for setting and managing the quality and reliability standards for Google's servers, storage and networking equipment. You are a quality expert with a track record of establishing quality programs from the ground up. You are hands-on and have extensive involvement in the tools and techniques used to introduce dynamic new storage products.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Establish product quality and reliability standards for Google's servers and storage equipment. Manage cost of quality and manage throughout the life of the product.
- Build quality models for new products. Use models to predict product quality and reliability performance and drive design improvements. Evaluate and improve product quality and reliability performance using various techniques.
- Work with various teams to ensure new products and supporting systems are being designed to provide the data required to manage the quality and reliability of Google's fleet. Establish dashboards and metrics and use a data-driven approach to problem identification and resolution.
- Provide consultation to Design, Manufacturing and Commodity teams in the selection, sourcing, qualification, and application of components and suppliers used in Google's equipment.
- Investigate failures and coordinate failure analysis, determining root causes, categorizing failures and driving corrective action through Google’s supply chain and design team.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- American Society for Quality certification (CQE, CQM, CRE, or CQA).
- 10 years of experience in Quality/Reliability including fabrication and testing of PCBAs and Box Build processes.
- 5 years of experienceworking with reliability prediction tools and statistical data analysis.
- Master's degree.
- Ability to travel as required.