General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Optical Quality Engineer to join our GA-EMS team located in Rancho Bernardo, CA.
This position will develop, modify, document and direct the implementation and evaluation of quality assurance programs and systems on one or more mid-size to large projects. Provide expertise and guidance in interpreting quality standards and government regulations. Collaborate with engineering and manufacturing to ensure quality standards are in place. Work on moderately complex and diverse problems where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth evaluation of various factors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee/Inspect optical components and devices in accordance with MIL-C-675C and MIL-PRF-13830B; machined parts, assemblies and materials in compliance with appropriate regulatory guidelines (Military Standards, ASTM and ANSI, and ASME Code).
- Provides various electronic and hard copy reports of inspections and notifies appropriate parties including project engineers.
- Oversee/Perform/Inspect optical elements for surface quality and optical and mechanical dimensions, working from operations sheets, drawings and specifications. Perform cleaning and visually inspect all optical elements prior to use.
- Determines technical objectives for quality assurance as well as approaches to completing projects. May coordinate the procurement of standard materials, services, tools, and parts for inspections.
- Sets up measuring and test equipment and may schedule service and repair of equipment. May prepare, update and maintain calibration computer databases. Devises and implements methods and procedures for inspecting, testing and evaluating the precision and accuracy of products and production equipment. Participates in functional testing and/or inspection of equipment and systems. Identifies, creates, and/or recommends design, dimensional or manufacturing process changes to improve products and reduce costs.
- May observe testing, perform source inspection, and provide oversight to verify compliance with requirements as well as monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical processes or other control procedures. May prepare statistical analysis reports, specifications and other technical documents.
- Audits quality systems for deficiency identification and correction. Implements solutions to complex problems occurring internally and at vendor facilities. Interprets and adapts quality standards and government regulations.
- Acts as company contact with suppliers, customers and regulatory personnel and provide responses to resolve quality issues. Delivers technical presentations.
- Provides project direction to other staff members.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor's or master's degree in engineering or related discipline and five or more years of related experience with a bachelor's degree or three or more years with a master's degree. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Prior optical experience is desired.
- Experience using optical test measuring devices such as interferometers, polarimeter, vision inspection system, scratch-dig tool, autocollimator, etc. is desired
- Use of basic hand and measuring tools including micrometers, gauges, calipers, height gauges, etc.
- Must have demonstrated skills in handling and cleaning optical elements.
- Must be able to apply a detailed understanding of inspection methods and have strong knowledge of computer operations and applications.
- Must have a strong knowledge of concepts, techniques, and methods in a particular field of specialization.
- Must have the analytical ability required to develop creative solutions to complex quality issues and the skills required to present those solutions to internal and external contacts.
- Must be detail-oriented to accurately prepare statistical reports and technical documents in support of company objectives.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours as required.
- Ability to deliver effective technical presentations.