To provide leadership that will allow the plant to achieve the vision of being preferred with regard to product quality. Responsible to plan, organize, direct and control plant quality assurance activities to assure that the quality of raw materials, in-process and finished goods are in accordance with product specifications.
- Responsibilities include establishing, maintaining and administering testing and inspection procedures, controlling and documenting changes in specifications, and the investigation and assessment of customer product complaints.
- Leader of the Plant’s WCM Total Product Quality Control Pillar.
- Products manufactured at the plant involve a variety of building materials with a substantial annual production volume.
- Directly supervises assigned laboratory employees and functionally supervises all hourly test and inspection personnel.
- Works under the general supervision of the Plant Manager.
- Has latitude for un-reviewed actions and the exercise of independent judgment and discretion within established policies and procedures including the authority to withhold product shipments when quality problems arise. Must secure prior approval for deviation from policies and procedures and for significant changes in testing or production plans.
- Internal contacts involve management and operations personnel throughout the plant, as required to resolve quality problems.
- External contacts involve sales and customer personnel, vendor representatives and corporate research to provide or obtain technical assistance in quality matters.
- Typical problem solving situations involve the analysis of various quality problems to determine probable causes, and to recommend necessary changes to processes, specifications, raw materials, etc. to effect resolution.
- May be assigned other plant administrative or supervisory functions, including safety and environmental related activities.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- A Chemical or Science degree in engineering, industrial management or equivalent combined with background in quality systems, SPC (statistical process control, 6-Sigma coupled with 5 years of experience in a continuous, TPM focused, manufacturing environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in managing the Quality function in a high speed, multi lane continuous processes is required.
- Experience in the management of the Quality function or Process Engineering in Gypsum board manufacturing.
- Requires approximately three to five years professional experience in technical materials, chemical analysis, product testing and/or product research activities. Of which one to two years should have been in a supervisory or lead capacity.
- A proven background in applied basic and advanced statistics, WCM Instructor/Black Belt or comparable knowledge/experience is required.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (List any further qualifications you would prefer the ideal candidate to have)
Requires a Bachelor's Degree in the appropriate physical science(s) or the equivalent training and experience which will provide a professional knowledge of the regulations, practices and procedures used in quality assurance activities including the chemical processes and analyses utilized in laboratory testing, as well as automated control systems is preferred.
- ASQ certification as a Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) or equivalent is preferred, certification as a Certified Quality Manager (CQM) is a plus.
- ASQ certification as a Certified Quality Auditor or ISO Lead Auditor or equivalent is preferred.