The major objectives of the position are: Implement, maintain and improve Plant Food Safety and Quality Systems and develop strategies funneled to improve the Food Safety Culture of the Plant ( connecting the hearts and minds of our employees on making sure everyone understand what is their role in Food Safety).Proactive approach on preventing, reducing or eliminating Food Safety & Quality incidents in the manufacturing and nonmanufacturing operations using Root Cause analysis tools and Lean Principles. Assure the manufacturing, distribution and sale of safe, high quality products which consistently provide top value and total satisfaction to customers and consumers everywhere using a systematic approach to product Food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance embodied in SQF standard and the Hershey Product Excellence Program (PEP). Leadership on assuring Food Safety Capital Projects are in place for Food Safety Continuous Improvement. The role works strongly with Hershey QRC Teams located in the USA.
- Partnership with USA Corporate QRC Supplier Management on the evaluation and selection of the raw and packaging suppliers, combined with training, communications, partnering, and certification, to assure shared quality expectations and results. Provides expertise, leadership and support in Quality management for resolution of Quality issues in plant operations, DCs, co-packers, assemblers, promotions suppliers and customers, also supports use of Quality processes for innovations.
- Quality design and continuous improvement of our products, manufacturing processes and distribution systems measured against performance indicators. Deploys quality strategy, governance and goals through company specific projects and targets, supporting the development of quality links to Supply Chain and business strategy. Leads or supports development of quality improvement activities based on the monitoring of market place data from multiple channels (e.g. consumer & customer care lines, shelf inspections, warehouse & copacker data, employee observations, etc.).
- Ensure Good Manufacturing Practices of our employees, supported by management commitment of resources, resulting in personal pride for each Hershey product we manufacture and distribute. Assists in building Quality talent in the company through recruitment, coaching, and training.Leadership in cascading Food Safety Culture initiatives across all employees in the Plant.Leader of the Food Safety Capital Plan ensuring funds and resources for mitigation or elimination of Food Safety Risks.
- Collaboration with both internal and external customers to maintain the integrity of our products until they reach our consumers. Enabling and leveraging consumer feedback to drive product excellence. Assists efforts to ensure flawless execution for new Product innovations which includes Due diligence of all aspects of Food Safety and Quality from start to finish and across the Innovation Stage Gate process
- Coordinate plant efforts to maintain Global Food Safety Initiative certification and Compliance on the Hershey Internal Audit. Lead the development, maintenance and governance of the Sanitation Strategy, Environmental Monitoring Microbiological Program and Assure all new projects start up with QA standards as needed
Knowledge, Skills and specific requirements:
- Effective communication of technical and non-technical information at different levels both internally and externally.
- Expert on quality systems ( I.e. Microbiology, Sanitation, Hygiene Zones separation, Allergen Management Control).
- Technical Knowledge of mechanical equipments.
- Solid knowledge of process development..
- Expert with HACCP / Food Safety Plan Development
- Expert with the Standards GFSI ( Global Food Safety Initiative)
- Knowledge of food manufacturing operations.
Expert in Food Safety Modernization act (FSMA US Regulation)
- Prefered to be already a “ Preventive Control Qualified Individual “ (PCQI) by FSMA requirements.
Preferred Skills / Requirements:
- Strong computer skills and records management.
- Strong documentation skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels to provide timely results.
- Strong leadership skills and management capacity to influence the direction of allowing the activities of teams of employees who have no direct information to the specialist.
- The position will work primarily on 1 shift, but the flexibility of working extra hours are needed to support a 24 / 7 operation of manufacturing.
- Strong writing and speaking English skills. 100%
- Strong teamwork skills needed to work with peers on diverse projects.
- Strong Project Management Skills
Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, or a related topic.
- +> 10 years of Quality Assurance experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of quality assurance and quality control principles
- Knowledge of food factory sanitation and laboratory techniques
- Knowledge of manufacturing practices and processes
- Experience developing quality systems
- Demonstrated skills and abilities to lead others
- Food Industry Experience
- BA/BS Microbiology, Food Science, Engineering, or related field
- Bilingual (Spanish/English), strong verbal and written communication skills.