Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager will be part of the key operating team at Olam Tomato Processors based at the Williams California Facility. The position will be responsible and accountable to develop the Quality Assurance Programs and Provide the day to day support to the operations team in management of product quality and ensuring Food Safety across the product portfolio manufactured at the Williams plant.
The role requires experience in plant Quality Assurance management preferably in Industrial/retail tomato ingredients & products with expertise in Quality systems such as BRC/SQF, HACCP. Technical expertise in the area of Physical, Chemical & Microbiological analysis is needed. Leads a team of supervisors and technicians to operate the laboratories through the year.
- Ensure full compliance of all products from the plant with all government food safety regulations, and maintain highest level of food safety.
- Ensure that facilities are in compliance with all GMP, HACCP, and GFSI (BRC) guidelines.
- Interact effectively with FDA and other regulatory personnel, food safety auditors, and customers to maintain positive & responsive relationships and assure rapid corrective actions through dynamic leadership and timely documentation.
- Develop, schedule, and direct GMP, Food Safety, and Quality Management System audits and monitor corrective actions to deficient findings for completion and effectiveness, providing gap closure assistance to the manufacturing facilities.
- Responsible and accountable for disposition of product based on Quality Inspection results and data management of the same in the SAP system.
- Lead HACCP and Food Safety team for product designs, manufacturing processes, Food Safety plans, environmental microbiological monitoring and control programs, finished product microbiological testing programs, allergen program, and sanitation programs.
- Validate and assure compliance with established food safety and quality objectives through daily monitoring programs, team supervision, and on-going verification of internal and external laboratory or industry benchmarking.
- Establish new and improved quality/safety programs, policies and procedures to ensure that established standards of quality are consistently achieved, measured, documented and maintained. Provide food safety risk assessment information, new technology information, and risk management strategies.
- Proactively identify potential and emerging food safety issues and develop strategies to effectively investigate and respond.
- Conduct training programs for the Quality teams with emphasis on continuous improvement through identification and analysis of customer complaints and requirements.
- Support the Central QA and Food Safety team in undertaking Root Cause & Corrective actions from customer complaints and implement the corrective actions with the plant operations team.
- Host and successfully, complete QA audits from customers and BRC audit team during the tomato processing season.
- Undertake Supplier Quality Audits and ensure ingredients and packaging material suppliers are compliant as per the requirement of the BRC system and Olam QA systems.
- Responsible for maintaining the Organic, Kosher, Halal certifications for products manufactured by the plant as per the requirement of the customers & central QA team.
- Provide data, resources & participate in continuous improvement initiatives as applicable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or Microbiology or related discipline
- Minimum 10 years leadership experience in multiple types of food processing, preferably in processing tomato or vegetable industry
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in Food chemistry& Microbiology, Food safety, preferably in the processing tomato or vegetable processing industry
- Ability to understand plant operations which include raw tomato handling, Hot & Cold Breaks, Evaporation, thermal processing & aseptic packaging, value added retail product manufacturing & packaging
- Ability to lead and develop a team of supervisors in both technical capability and effective communication
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively work with all managerial levels, customers, regulatory, and other professional contacts
- Strong analytical problem solving skills with and ability to understand the key requirements in the Quality Systems and continuous improvement programs
- Strong communication skills and ability to build and conduct training programs to the Quality & operations team
- Team building/team leadership skills
- Knowledge of GFSI & BRC auditing schemes and requirements
- HACCP certified and experienced
- Formal audit training or equivalent certification or experience
- SAP ability and fundamental knowledge a plus