Jama Software is the product development platform for companies building complex, smart and connected products. The Jama solution enables enterprises to accelerate development time, mitigate risk, slash complexity and verify regulatory compliance. More than 600 product-centric organizations, including NASA, Thales and Caterpillar, use Jama Software to modernize their process for bringing complex products to market.
Jama Software was founded in 2007 and is privately funded by Trinity Ventures, Madrona Ventures, and Updata Partners. We are headquartered in beautiful downtown Portland, Oregon and are a member of a rapidly growing software development community within the City. As a member of that community, Jama Software stands out, having earned a place on the list of most admired technology companies in 2014, 2015 and 2016 by the Portland Business Journal. We believe that collaboration supercharges the performance of people, resulting in a dynamic workplace, the best outcomes for our clients and continuous improvement in what we do. We’re looking for a person who shares that belief and is ready for a meaningful leadership role in a very exciting market space.
Quality Assurance Engineer
We seek an absolute enthusiast for software quality who participates in the testing process that ensures high quality releases of the Jama products are achieved. The ideal candidate for this position understands standards for QA best practices and is passionate about delivering quality products to our customers.
- Contribute to our automation framework designed to support sprint validation, regression, smoke, and integration testing.
- Collaborate with other Quality Assurance Engineers to expand our master library of tests that support all forms of testing at Jama.
- Perform code reviews and collaborate with staff on automation best practices.
- Create and execute manual and automated tests as needed across all supported browsers, databases, and operating systems.
- Work closely with the engineering team in-sprint to validate new functionality as its delivered.
- Collaborate with the larger Quality Assurance Team, developers, and product managers to understand performance requirements and customer usage patterns.
- Analyze results from all forms of testing to provide detailed reports of your findings and opportunities to deliver quality.
- Leverage the DevOps infrastructure to deploy test instances of Jama.
- Participate in the culture of quality at Jama. This includes presenting QA best practices and being an advocate for the customer.
- Willingness to participate in on-call rotation.
Within the first 30 days you should be willing and able to:
- Be a key contributor on one of our project teams. You should be able to work independently as a QA member on your team.
- Participate in all the Scrum ceremonies on your team.
- Be comfortable with our Selenium/Java automation infrastructure and be able to create tests and execute automation as part of your daily testing activities.
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced and innovative environment that embraces change and collaborates openly with employees, customers, and partners to build high quality solutions.
Within 60 days you should be willing and able to:
- Leverage your experience and knowledge of QA to contribute to our testing processes and infrastructure.
- Be aware of all aspects of our Jama QA Playbook and internal process. Know where to find information to support your work activities.
- Contribute to our hosted deployments that occur once a month over the weekend.
- Participate in lightning topics, demos, and company meetings to help convey our passion for quality. This includes presenting topics at these events.
- Leverage the DevOps infrastructure to deploy your test system.
Within 90 days you should be willing and able to:
- Be fully integrated into one of the Jama engineering teams.
- Perform any type of testing for your project team. Should be able to work independently and cross-functionally.
- Mentor staff as needed on our key QA practices. This includes participating in the onboarding process for new staff.
Education and Experience Requirements
- 3-5 years of Quality Assurance experience
- 3+ years experience with complex load and performance testing for an N-tier SaaS application
- 3+ years strong understanding of SQL and relational databases
- 3+ years practical language experience (Java, C#, Python)
- 3+ years of designing and building automated testing tools
- 3+ years working with an N-tier SaaS applications
- 2+ years experience with Selenium
- 2+ years experience with New Relic or similar tools
- 2+ years experience with REST and JSON
- Passion for quality with strong background in structured testing best practices
- Familiarity with MySQL, MS SQL, Linux, Windows
- Experience with programmatic manipulation of cloud infrastructure such as AWS to deploy and configure test environments
- Network management experience (DNS, SMTP, HTTP)
- DBMS (e.g. MySQL, MS SQL, Postgres, RDS, Graph Databases)
- Experience with network and web application monitoring tools (e.g. Scout, SumoLogic, New Relic)
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools (e.g. Maven, TeamCity)
- Strong interpersonal skills, both written and verbal communication
- Keen analytical skills and proven problem solving ability
- Eagerness to learn and work in a highly collaborative team environment