Continuous Improvement & Quality Assurance Manager
Bagcraft® Packaging, a Novolex™ company, is looking for a Continuous Improvement & Quality Manager for the Norcross Bagcraft location. This position provides proactive leadership, strategic direction, and support in the areas of Continuous Improvement and Quality Assurance. Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Continuous Improvement & Quality Manager will inspire, lead, and execute strategic initiatives that enable optimum safety, quality, sanitation, productivity, and delivery and cost performance within the operations of the facility.
Essential Functions & Key Responsibilities:
- Develop, deploy, and manage all Continuous Improvement and Quality Assurance policies, programs, processes and procedures.
- Stimulate and cultivate “a zero incident mentality” throughout the facility.
- Maintain Global Food Safety Initiative SQF Level 3 Certification.
- Provide consultation and direction to ensure Quality System programs, processes and procedures are implemented successfully and function as designed throughout the operation in order to ensure the quality and integrity of manufactured products and services.
- Serve as SPA for annual and periodic 3rd-party product safety/sanitation audits.
- Document standards and specifications for processes, products, and test procedures.
- Assess and evaluate facility personnel and make recommendations to the Plant Manager regarding strategies to remedy training, skills, or performance deficiencies.
- Develop, administer, and institutionalize cost effective strategies to maintain superior manufacturing hygiene audit scores in each facility; ensure strategies solidify a hygienic culture into the daily activities of each operation; serve/act as the POC and interface with all customers regarding related matters.
- Promote quality concepts and principles throughout the organization by facilitating the Quality Lead Team, and by providing guidance and leadership for the development and administration of a Total Quality Management System.
- Lead and direct the overall Continuous Improvement Process for the facility by providing training to the organization on the use and practice of Lean methodology and tools (5S, Kaizen, SMED, Design for Lean, etc.)
- Ensure safety is considered in all appropriate business activities and hazards are documented prior to facility, equipment, process or materials changes or modifications.
- Facilitate and teach process improvement and problem solving using Lean/Six Sigma principles and root cause analysis; gain results through people strategies.
- Plan and assist in the execution of various Leanevents targeted toward improving the business performance in all areas of Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost.
- Constantly strive to eliminate waste and improve customer satisfaction via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Design, implement and institutionalize “best practice” quick change procedures and processes.
- Establish a collaborative working relationship with Business Unit colleagues.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Core Competencies: Customer Focus, Action Oriented, Decision Quality, Functional/Technical Skills, Integrity and Trust, Peer Relationships
- Other Competencies Required: Priority Setting, Interpersonal Skills, Motivating Others, Problem Solving, Managing Diversity, Sizing up People, Composure, Management, Delegation, Developing Direct Reports, Listening, Influencing without Authority, Dealing with Ambiguity, Business Acumen
- Bachelor of Science Degree in business or technical discipline, i.e. Operations Management, Industrial Engineering, Technology or related field.
- A minimum of 5+ years hands-on Lean implementation experience and/or training in a manufacturing Lean Environment. An intellectual understanding of Lean Manufacturing (Certification) and/or Six SigmaBlack Belt.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment utilizing TQM, ISO, Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma is preferred.
- Quality Assurance experience preferably in a paper-converting environment is preferred.
- ASQ (American Society for Quality) Certified Quality Engineer, Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence, Certified Black Belt or Certified Green Belt preferred.
- Working knowledge of General Management Practice compliance is preferred.
- Proven technical leadership with the ability to utilize structured problem solving methods to deliver results.
- Demonstrated competence to work and communicate effectively with all levels in the organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with willingness and ability to learn new systems.