DivisionDigitalLocationThe E. W. Scripps Company-09098Description
The E.W. Scripps Company is hiring a Python Web Developer to join our growing digital team in Cincinnati, OH.
You enjoy creating solutions that enhance the usability and functionality of websites. Mediocre is not in your vocabulary and you aren't afraid to work hard alongside a small, talented and collaborative team. Come join our internal start-up to improve our platforms that are delivering best of class journalism to consumers in 27 markets across the US.
The individual in this role will develop solutions by creating new and modifying existing application software that is moderately complex. Responsibilities include analyzing system requirements and existing business processes and information systems, as well as assisting in system planning, scheduling and implementation. The Python Web Developer participates in full lifecycle development including creating prototypes, codes, tests, debugs, documents and implements moderately complex software.
- Work closely with all departments in a collaborative manner to plan, design, and develop websites and software applications.
- Develop, use and assess technical architectures, designs, and frameworks.
- Contribute to the overall software development life-cycle including requirements gathering/analysis, design, development, release/version control, testing, deployment and support.
- Develop technical specifications and documentation.
- Develop and implement training and documentation for applications.
- Work independently and as a member of a team.
- Develop special sections and site features to enhance coverage and increase user engagement.
- Contribute to team after-hours support duties.
- Evaluate evolving technologies.
- Perform application testing of components, modifications, and overall systems for multiple websites and applications.
- Ability to troubleshoot all manner of technical problems that may develop with multiple sites, video formats, and platforms to determine whether reported problems are the result of code-related errors, platform errors, or user error.
- Follow strict troubleshooting processes at all times, especially during emergencies.
- Perform other duties as needed and as directed by supervisor.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of two years' experience in full life-cycle software development.
- Minimum of three years' technical experience in interactive media or other relevant online business.
Skill and Abilities:
- Python development skills
- Experience with Django
- Databaseexperience including MySQL and/or PostgreSQL (queries, DDL)
- Use of version control software for code, asset and configuration management. Preferably SVN and/or Git.
- Significant Linux experience
- Must have broad, enterprise-class technical knowledge in areas of software application development, technical operations, information security, and business process architecture.
- Experience performing in a Systems Assurance role to ensure the quality of systems either produced in-house or by another party.
- Use of trouble ticketing systems.
- Experience with the following is highly desired:
- Velocity templating
- Experience developing web-based CMS systems
- Experience with, or knowledge of GIS (geographic information systems) a plus
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Effective relationship-building skills and ability to work both individually and as a member of a team are essential.
- Excellent organization, project management and follow-up skills.
- Qualified Candidate relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals within a team environment.
- Utilize creativity and excellent problem solving skills.
- Must possess proven and effective verbal and written communication skills.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of television, radio and digital media brands. Scripps is one of the nation's largest independent TV station owners, with 33 television stations in 24 markets and a reach of nearly one in five U.S. households. It also owns 34 radio stations in eight markets. Scripps also runs an expanding collection of local and national digitaljournalism and information businesses, including multi-platform satire and humor brand Cracked, podcast industry leader Midroll Media and over-the-top video news service Newsy. Scripps also produces television shows including "THE LIST" and "The Now," runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and serves as the long-time steward of the nation's largest, most successful and longest-running educational program, the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.