The Purchasing Manager will be responsible for determining and making recommendation for the best evaluated solution for the Company with respect to cost, quality, delivery, National Supply Agreements (NSA) and other similar elements. This includes supporting the Company’s estimating department and construction projects by executing the quoting, procurement, and delivery of specified products and/or services from qualified suppliers and subcontractors within established Company policies and practices.
What you will do:
- Manage and support the purchasing department for the Mountain West Division.
- Procurement activities will include responsibilities for purchasing job supplies, permanent materials, construction equipment, replacement and repair parts, lease equipment and subcontracts. Process through written bids, NSA’s and prepare analysis for estimating. Negotiate throughout the process as required.
- Maintain and build internal relationships with Sales, Engineering, Foremen, Production Shops, Operations and Business Development.
- Work closely with the Director of National Purchasing on development, execution, and support on Corporate policy and procedure along with the regional/national partnership agreements.
- Evaluate existing corporate purchasing policy, recommend changes as needed and maintain.
- Evaluate existing and potential suppliers and recommends changes in suppliers as needed.
- Deal with conflict and resolve issues in a professional and unbiased manner.
- Provide coaching and performance feedback as necessary to the purchasing department, which is in multiple locations. Some travel required to outside offices
- Some travel to regional projects to develop relationships with suppliers in the area.
- Support purchasing activities in local as well as regional locations.
- Assist in compiling and preparing bid documents and bidders list, including inquiry preparations, request for bids and recommendations for award of contract.
- Coordinate and assist with project managers, job foreman, or fabrication managers in procuring goods and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts and supplies.
- Assist in resolving issues and conflicts related to supplier activities and assist in tracking of Key Performance Indicator (KPI) measurement and validation.
What you need to be successful:
- Have an excellent knowledge of purchasing practices, systems, and practices.
- You love to effectively negotiate and procure items in a timely manner.
- You possess a strong product knowledge of pipe, valves, and fittings for Plumbing / mechanical systems.
- You have the ability to operate a personal computer using spreadsheet, word processing, data base software, and experience using ERP software. (COINS preferred).
- You enjoy working in a continuous improvement environment.
- You are a results-oriented individual with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and time lines.
- You know how to manage your time and have the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, while planning and executing timely, effectively, efficiently, and accurately.
- You possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, quality oriented, and strong attention to detail required.
Education / Experience:
- Minimum 8 yrs. exp. purchasing, including construction industry experience
- Minimum 2 years leading, or supervising teams preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Purchasing, or other closely related field from an accredited university
Southland Industries understands that people are key to our success as a company. The people who work for us, the people we serve, and the people who live and work in the buildings we design and build.
If you’re someone with a true passion for our industry, we’re looking for you! At Southland, we seek people that don’t just follow a career path, but blaze their own. People who want to apply innovation to their problem solving and embrace the concept of full collaboration between disciplines work at Southland. We appreciate the spirit of integrity and entrepreneurialism with which our people act, and have learned that the more opportunity we allow our employees, the greater the results. Each part of our business is interconnected and requires input from others, which has led to the collaborative setting from which we thrive.
We believe in building careers and supporting our people with what they need to grow and flourish. And we thrive on creating a strong company and culture where you’ll feel supported, challenged and valued.
As we move our company forward and serve our customers, we know it’s essential to have the best people working for us. In fact, our best people don’t just fit our culture, they inspire it! Don’t be afraid to jump in, roll up your sleeves and get excited about making a difference at Southland.
We’ll notice it.
If you’re ready for the next big step in your career and want the fast pace and excitement of a growing company, we want you now. Join our team and become a part of an organization that values work-life balance, community, and exceptional quality of work.
As an employee-owned company, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes excellent benefits for you and your family:
- 401(k) Plan with 50% Company Match (no cap) and immediate 100% vesting
- Annual bonus program based upon performance, profitability, and achievement
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Term Life, AD&D Insurance, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Disability Income Protection Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Plans (Health and Dependent Care)
- Holidays/Vacation/Personal Time/Life Events Leave
- Numerous training opportunities and company paid membership for professional associations and licenses