Position Overview :
Eaton has an immediate opening for a Purchasing Manager at one of its Michigan locations (Southfield or Galesburg). This role provides Commodity Management leadership to the North American Vehicle Group’s business. The primary role of the Purchasing Manager is to plan, develop, coordinate, and deploy strategic commodity management activities. Specific responsibilities include, but are not be limited to, commodity strategy and strategic sourcing, cost reduction, gap analysis, cost modeling, strategic supplier relationship management, make/buy assessments, negotiation of key supplier contracts, and developing purchasing functional excellence within the Supply Chain Organization for North America. Responsibilities include:
Essential Responsibilities :
- Lead regional commodity managers in the areas of commodity management, strategic sourcing, supplier relationships and risk management.
- Establish key operating metrics and develop appropriate objectives / performance expectations of direct reports to ensure achievement of business goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain long-term partnerships with suppliers while adhering to Eaton’s rigorous ethics and compliance standards to enable cost-out and product/supplier improvement while ensuring production, delivery, and capacity requirements for all commodities. This includes championing the Strategic Business Review process for VG North America.
- Lead the development, communication and implementation of commodity strategies . This includes commodity segmentation and enabling sourcing, developing and executing supply base right-sizing, three-year roadmaps to improve supplier performance (cost, quality, delivery), and ensuring appropriate levels of capacity to support business unit demand.
- Develop and implement multiyear cost-out pipeline of projects to provide sustainable competitive advantage to the business.
- Lead strategic sourcing decisions through consensus building in operations, quality and engineering to create and manage supply contracts that leverage Eaton’s purchasing power for the benefit of the company and ensure flawless launches.
- Partner with supplier development leadership to develop and deploy key supplier quality strategies and approaches for raw material quality improvement .
- Increase the functional knowledge of the commodity managers to enable cost model development, gap creation process, benchmarking, cost driver analysis, market testing and negotiation training for win-win results with the supply base.
- Apply skillful negotiations with internal and external suppliers; resolve issues and settle disputes; develop win/win solutions and create positive relations utilizing tact and expert judgment.
- Monitor supplier performance and monitor and manage supply risk to protect Eaton manufacturing locations from supply chain disruptions.
- Develop productive relationships with others in Supply Chain Management, mentoring, teaching and training.
- Champion product stewardship and ensure suppliers comply with all government laws and regulations.
- Travel to external partners is required.
Basic Qualifications :
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, purchasing / logistics, supply chain or engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum 10 years of experience in supply chain management or related commercial areas in the automotive industry
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- No relocation is provided. Only candidates that reside within 50 miles of the locations listed will be considered.
Preferred Qualifications :
- MBA degree from an accredited university
- 3 years of previous supervisory responsibility
- Previous commodity management experience with automotive OEM
- Related international experience a plus
- Knowledge and skills in MRP, MRPII, JIT, lean manufacturing, Kanban, and vendor-managedinventory
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Previous experience with machined parts, cold forming, gears and shafts, and bearings
- Knowledge of and experience with Oracle
- Experience working knowledge of various commodities, cost drivers, and manufacturing techniques
Position Criteria :
- Strong analytical / problem-solving skills
- Proven track record of success in contract negotiations and supplier relationship building
- Proven ability to assess and develop supplier capabilities
- Working knowledge of various commodities, cost drivers, and manufacturing techniques
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of key financial metrics
Requisition ID: 036063