The Purchasing Manager is responsible for managing the external purchasing system, supporting the operations functions including the site teams (Community Leader and Service Manager, Supervisor or Lead), and supporting / driving operational and company-wide cost savings initiatives.
Expected to constantly improve property portfolio performance in procurement, leverage portfolio size for pricing power and vendor management. Stay abreast of procurement, multifamily and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) trends, identify effective strategies and tactics that lead to cost savings. Highly motivated, with a strong work ethic. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and communicate clearly across the organization. This position is self-directed, requiring a high level of analytical skills. Able to comprehend complex issues and provide suggestions for problem-solving. Requires very little supervision and is self-directed the majority of the time. Able to prioritize and set deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee assigned to this position. This description is not an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with this position.
- Manage relationships and leverage portfolio volume purchasing power with regional and national vendors of various products and/or services to achieve the best value.
- Acts as a safety leader and puts safety first in all responsibilities.
- Works in conjunction with Risk Management to establish and maintain all policies and programs to assure a safe working environment.
- Works closely with accounting and accounts payable departments to resolve vendor or other procurement issues.
- Serve as a member of the Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) committee.
- Enhance sustainability performance throughout the supply chain; embed sustainability in the supply chain.
- Develop a purchasing organizational structure to support operations and overall company objectives. Plan should support current and future growth of the organization and accomplish objectives.
- Develop strategy and process for the selection of suppliers and supplier accountability – quality, delivery, pricing.
- Enhance / modify the supplier management program and metrics for the selection and ongoing supplier management and accountability.
- Develop metrics for measuring cost reduction of products produced and overall operations and communicate them to the organization on a regular basis.
- Review portfolio financial statements to monitor and report on R & M spending program compliance and variance to budget.
- Provide support in developing property budgets, incorporating cost savings initiatives into overall budgets.
- Assist with scope and bidding Capital Improvement and Value Add projects.
- Review lead times / throughput times and terms of payment; improve with supplier where appropriate.
- Drive and support continuous improvement initiatives in the organization. Actively participate in the part of the process to review / assess value streams to reduce waste and improve profitability and productivity.
- Plans and establishes policies, systems, and procedures to control the Company’s purchasing activities effectively.
- Negotiate and manage contracts for property services to include examples such as elevator maintenance, refuse removal, phone, data.
- Develop, implement, and maintain (audit) standards for maintenance shops across the portfolio to include inventory management.
- Develop standardized specifications and RFP/RFQ packages for routine services such as lawn care, HVAC maintenance, and snow removal.
- Perform exhaustive research for the selection of parts to find the right products that will lead to management improvement of costs and expenses.
This job does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Up to 25% travel, usually overnight to IRET markets.
Standard computer setup; laptop for travel purposes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Product Knowledge – Maintains expertise and extensive knowledge of different materials and products used by IRET’s properties. Ability to identify appropriate and effective products.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information, can organize and process diverse financial and accounting information, collects and researches data, uses intuition and experience to complement data, designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, gives full attention to what others are saying without interrupting, take time to understand what is being said, and effectively expresses ideas and opinions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet different audiences, presents numerical data effectively, able to read and interpret written information.
- Customer Service Orientation – When dealing with internal or external customers - Manages difficult or emotional situations, responds promptly to customer needs or requests, solicits customer feedback to improve service, follow through on requests for service and assistance, and meets commitments.
- Teamwork & Collaboration - Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of team above own interests, supports everyone's efforts to succeed, includes when appropriate and works effectively with all other departments to accomplish company goals.
- Respect & Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy, shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, educates others on the value of diversity, promotes a harassment-free environment, embraces differences and utilizes those differences to the company’s benefit, builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics & Integrity - Treats people with respect, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with honesty, integrity and ethically, upholds organizational values, maintains confidentiality.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, keeps emotions under control, focuses on resolving conflict not blaming, maintains confidentiality, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments. Represents a professional image of IRET in conduct and adherence to dress code requirements.
- Confidentiality – Understands and keeps confidentiality of all information received as part of the duties of the position. Does not disclose any personal information without appropriate authority or unless there is a legal or professional obligation to do so. Must demonstrate trustworthiness and sound judgment in confidential or sensitive matters, does not misuse information for personal gain.
- Project Management – Develops project plans, coordinates projects, communicates changes and progress, completes projects on time and budget, manages project team activities and effectively manages multiple projects simultaneously.
- Organizational Support - Completes tasks correctly and on time, supports organization's goals and values, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality outcomes.
- Responsibility – Know and adhere to all federal, state, and/or local laws as well as company policies and procedures contained in the manuals, handbooks and training provided by IRET or as otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
- Resourcefulness – Understands how to get results, where to find answers to problems, consults a variety of resources in order to accomplish results, able to multi-task.
- Motivation & Enthusiasm - Sets and achieves challenging goals, demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence, positively contribute to overall work environment.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily, undertakes self-development activities, seeks increased responsibilities, asks for and offers help when needed.
- Dependability - Responds to management direction, takes responsibility for own actions, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Judgment - Exercises discretion and independent judgment, correctly interprets and follows company policies, informs appropriate people of decisions, makes timely decisions, takes independent action and calculated risks, looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
- Self-Directedness – Ability to work independently, to discern what needs to be accomplished and take initiative to make it happen, able to self-direct activities in order to produce highest results.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience –
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and 6 years of hands-on experience in material purchasing and/or a combination of education and experience as related to the position.
- 2 years implementing and/or managing Environmental, Social and Governance Procurement programs,
- Driving Requirements – Valid driver’s license is required.
- Physical Demands – While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and depth perception.
- Work Environment – The noise level in the work environment is usually very quiet.
- Language Skills – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual must have moderate Word processing skills, with the ability to work efficiently in Microsoft Outlook and adept at learning new software programs. Moderate to advanced ability in spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel) is required. Experience with Nexus is preferred. Employee will be expected to design professional spreadsheets, evaluate the validity of data, and design/use formulas, pivot tables, tables, charts and other advanced functions.
6 years: Material purchasing
Licenses & Certifications