The Allegheny Health Network is comprised of eight hospitals: Allegheny General, Allegheny Valley, Canonsburg, Forbes, Jefferson, Saint Vincent, Westfield Memorial and West Penn; and more than 200 primary- and specialty-care practices. And we have approximately 1,700 physicians in every clinical specialty, 17,000 employees and 2,000 volunteers. Together, we provide world-class medicine to patients in our communities, across the country and around the world.
For decades, the hospitals of Allegheny Health Network have been providing people with exceptional healthcare, care that helps people to live healthy lives and care that we deliver throughout their lifetimes. We continue this tradition by using the latest medical innovations to treat our patients, gaining knowledge through research to constantly improve how we prevent, diagnose and treat illness, and staffing our hospitals with experienced, expert and compassionate physicians, nurses, technicians, clinicians, and support professionals who are dedicated to medicine, people and healing.
Job Summary: Performs diagnostic care within the pulmonary lab and leads the lab in all College of American Pathology (CAP) guidelines. Ensures that lab procedures performed comply with regulatory, accrediting and licensure requirements.
- Maintains and ensures that the Blood Gas Laboratory operates to need Federal (CLIA), State (DOH - Bureau of Laboratories) and accrediting (College of American Pathologists) requirements.
- Performs PFT testing, exercise testing and bronchoscopies. May perform advanced diagnostic procedures (complex stress testing, HBO non-complex treatments) depending upon facility requirements.
- Interfaces with the Medical Director regarding clinical interpretation and implementation of diagnostic policy and procedures. Reviews and updates laboratory diagnostic policy and procedure manuals.
- Maintains and troubleshoots current diagnostic equipment and evaluates new technology and equipment needs. Maintains analyzer logs and corrective action on all ABG and PFT machines according to CAP and manufacturer's guidelines.
- Supports the educational needs of Fellows and/or Residents rotating through the PFT lab and supports the needs of research protocols and testing.
- Supports manager with daily operations.
- Maintains current knowledge of billing and documentation policies/regulations and system policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Demonstrated experience with IT interfaces with EHR, mapping, validating and testing of results required.
- 5 years’ experience in an active Pulmonary Function and Blood Gas lab required.
- Current BLS required. ACLS preferred.
- Degree in respiratory care from a CoARC accredited advanced level respiratory program is required.
- Credentialed through the NBRC of (RRT) and (CPFT) required.
- BS in Respiratory Care preferred.
- PA licensure as a Respiratory Care Practitioner (CRT).
- Registered with the Board of Respiratory Care (RRT).
- RPFT preferred.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills needed.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic environment. Employee
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
- Experience with successful CAP inspections.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of all procedures including indications, contraindications and complications related to test performed.
- Strong computer skills regarding use of specialized software programs. Microsoft Word and Excel spreadsheets
Position Number: 61332