As part of the Marketing & Partnerships team, the Brand & Communications team drives awareness and engagement among donors, partners, teachers, and the public to generate donations, inspire new classroom projects, and elevate the brand. The BrandComms team includes colleagues who oversee our social and digital communications channels, media relations, events, print and web design, brand writing, disaster recovery, and brand partnerships. The Public Relations and Events Manager will oversee three main areas of work: media relations, events, and brand partnerships.
This role reports to the Vice President of Brand & Communications. Minimal travelrequired.
- Become an expert in the DonorsChoose.org voice and the way we communicate with teachers, donors, and partners
- Collaborate with the Brand & Communications team and other colleagues on campaigns and promotions, brainstorms, and other cross-team projects
- Respond to incoming media requests
- Work with the VP of Brand & Communications to develop and execute a proactive earned media strategy at the national and regional level
- Develop and distribute talking points, press releases, fact sheets, and other background materials
- Monitor media coverage and analyze media coverage and trends
- Work with colleagues across the org to identify great, newsworthy stories and pitch them to media on a regular basis
- Track all progress in Salesforce and report updates to colleagues
- Lead execution of our annual Partner Summit event for 60-80 corporate and foundation partners and 20+ staff
- Coordinate invitations and responses with our partnership managers
- Oversee venue and catering logistics
- Set goals for Partner Summit attendance, analyze attendee feedback, and recommend improvements to the event
- Vet and execute incoming brand partnerships opportunities that help boost awareness and drive new donor and teacher growth
- Work with our Business Development team to evaluate potential brand partnership opportunities
- Research and pitch top brand partnership prospects
- Evaluate the success of brand partnerships and share out best practices
This position might be for you if:
- You have 3-6 years of relevant experience in agency or in-house PR, journalism, or a related field.
- You’re creative and relentless about uncovering and sharing a good story.
- You have a diverse media diet of everything from the New York Times to BuzzFeed to Chronicle of Philanthropy to your favorite niche trade pub.
- You’re a strong, concise writer.
- You have experience and success with pitching media and love doing it.
- You’re a “doer.” You like to power through your checklist for the day, and are relentless about staying organized. People are impressed with how you always keep so many projects going at the same time.
- You’re cool under pressure, quick thinking, and know how to make planning major events “look easy.”
- You’re detail-oriented and have several favorite organizational tools and apps.
- You’re looking to work in a startup-style nonprofit with an entrepreneurial, goals-driven culture. You thrive on clear deadlines, quick turnarounds, and develop systems for efficiency.
- You can shift gears nimbly to respond to competing deadlines and priorities.
- You work best when you have clear goals and a way to measure and improve upon your results.
- You love escape rooms (okay, this one’s not mandatory, but you should know that the BrandComms team takes escape rooms very seriously).