As a member of Google's Public Policy team, you help shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
As a Public Policy Manager for YouTube Music, you'll help shape Google's policy efforts relating to Copyright and Music. You will coordinate with the global Policy team, the YouTube business and product organizations, and key cross-functional partners in Marketing, Legal and PR to execute our policy strategy, develop our external narrative around key policy challenges, and advise product teams through the public policy lens.
You'll develop, organize, manage, and communicate critical plans, initiatives, and strategy, while tracking various regulatory proposals and analyzing their potential impact on Google’s business.
Technology moves quickly, so it's important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect the Internet and our users. We advocate for Google on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates. In this role, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You’ll apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player eager to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy.
- Develop and lead strategic outreach and policy campaigns to shape public and political dialogue in a way that benefits YouTube’s users, our business, and the wider web.
- Engage and build relations with policymakers, trade associations, industry partners, key opinion formers, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused online environment as well as an open internet.
- Lead on YouTube Music and Copyright policy. Build external relationships strategically to help shape public and political dialogue. Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues and thought leaders.
- Advise Business and Product teams on policy implications during the product development and launch process.
- Be responsible for our policy strategy for issues relating to Music and Copyright.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience managing high-profile policy campaigns and strategic outreach with diverse stakeholders, time spent on policy advocacy or in a government position, and experience with the music industry.
- Experience with US and International copyright systems and policy debates.
- Experience working within the technology industry and familiarity with internet technologies, new media, and the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience working in government, and experience working across an international organization.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, with a track record of executing cross-functional projects.