This new position is designed to add local presence to the Public & Government Affairs (P&GA) team at Imperial and onsite support for Cold Lake and Conventional Operations’ leadership.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need a deep connection to the business and leaders you support, while also collaborating seamlessly with the Imperial P&GA team in head office. On the ground and in the communities, you’ll be the face and voice of the company with stakeholders ranging from local governments to employees to indigenous leaders to media to local community groups. It’s a broad role with the potential for significant impact.
To pull this off you’ll need to have experience working with most of these stakeholder groups, exceptional relationship building and interpersonal skills and the judgement to know when and how to engage with the broader Imperial P&GA network. You’ll both develop local activities and execute them, so hands on experience is essential. And, ideally, you’ve gained that experience working in the energy sector.
- Participate as an active member of the site leadership team, providing advice and counsel from the PG&A perspective.
- Lead local community relations engagement and relationship building.
- Engage in issues management advocacy efforts with local government and regulators; raise regulatory/public policy issues with P&GA government relations team.
- Identify proactive media profile opportunities and respond to local media inquiries.
- Strategically leverage local community investment and sponsorship budgets to mitigate non-technical risk and build employee engagement. Create profile/relationship opportunities and proactively recommend investments that align business objective and local social issues.
- Develop and manage (monitor and publish) social media strategy for the asset and region.
- Support employee engagement and internal communication strategy and activities.
- Participate in emergency response and preparedness and lead local crisis communication efforts.
- Support or serve as company contact with key local chamber, trade, and/or other community organizations (e.g. community advisory panels/programs).
- Evaluate effectiveness of communication programs and activities through regular measurement.
- Measure and track stakeholder sentiment – maintaining a database of key contacts, influencers, alliances and issues and conduct regular opinion surveys.
- Explore and apply new communications technology to reach and engage untethered members of the workforce and to connect field sites to corporate events (forums, etc.).
- Provide support to large-scale projects in their exploration and development stages, as well as ongoing operations.
- Positive company reputation and community trust maintained.
- Integrated communications model leveraged; positive business outcomes supported.
- P&GA strategy plans for key local interfaces developed and implemented; results measured.
- Influential stakeholder and indigenous community relationship(s) cultivated and maintained.
- Supportive local government.
- Client satisfaction of P&GA services measured and achieved.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Eight to 15years public and government affairsexperience, preferably energy-related
- Broad generalist experience in communications with senior-level interaction
- Established background in strategy supporting community, government, indigenous and workforce engagement
- Previous interface with the news media
- Experience and understanding of digital and social media platforms, campaigns and measurement
- Experience participating in emergency response
- Understanding of the integrated oil and gas industry
- Valid driver's license and safe driving record are required