The Public Affairs Department is responsible for: internal communication; event planning and administration; regional outreach; economic education; digital communication, including social media and web activities; publishing; media relations; congressional relations; creative services; and executive communications. In addition, the Department collaborates with multiple areas across the Bank to implement programming and strategies to support communication and engagement with numerous audiences and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of planning and implementing public affairs and corporate communications campaigns for a diverse organization. This individual will be responsible for developing operating plans to achieve goals and objectives for the Public Affairs function within the Bank and ensuring performance supports the overall Bank mission. The individual also will manage the development, growth and succession of employees within the Department.
This position requires capabilities, experiences, and skills commensurate with leading a diverse group of managers and individual contributors, and interacting with, and influencing, peers and leaders across the Federal Reserve System.
- Attracts, develops and retains a high caliber staff, and develops successors and talent pools for key roles. Creates a work culture that promotes a cooperative, inclusive, innovative and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to motivate staff to deliver measurable results in terms of public understanding and trust and confidence in the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City with enthusiasm and loyalty. Develops staff for progressively more responsible assignments. Able to deal effectively and decisively with organizational and personnel issues.
- Ability to lead, develop and reward the team through a period of dynamic change and uncertain conditions. Ability to effectively navigate and achieve results in a multi-functional, complex organizational structure with numerous unique lines of business.
- Utilize excellent customer relationship management skills to interface effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including executives. Ability to present ideas and concerns to senior leaders and effectively influence senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Proven, strong problem-solving skills, and willingness to take ownership of issues and drive for resolution of obstacles. Proven record of applying judgment in creating and sustaining a sense of urgency in anticipating and/or preventing impacts to business operation. Proven strategic planning skills and experience.
- Communicates complex issues to a variety of stakeholders with a management presence that elicits confidence and credibility. Analytically minded with strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as outstanding presentation, persuasion, negotiation and influential capabilities that elicit confidence and credibility. Ability to develop, and drive value from, internal and external partnerships.
- Collaborates with senior leadership in the formulation of strategies, policies, procedures, productivity/cost/efficiency targets, and budgets. Ensures strategies are translated into executable plans to achieve goals and meet business requirements.
- Accountable for day-to-day management oversight and attainment of strategic business objectives and operational goals, including productivity, quality, and efficiency measures.
- Ensures compliance with control standards and procedures, and measures and monitors progress to ensure goals are achieved.
- Identifies opportunities to, and implements, initiatives to reduce costs and improve efficiencies/productivity, as appropriate.
- Builds and maintains productive working relationships with peers within the Bank, the Federal Reserve System, and other stakeholders.
- Possesses strong leadership and integrity.
- Exceptional strategic planning skills and experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Significant experience leading teams to implement effective strategic communications and engagement programs for a range of internal and external audiences and stakeholders.
- Familiarity and experience with leveraging IT resources to achieve communication goal.
- Knowledge of budget and accounting principles. Ability to drive team accountability for results within budgetary constraints.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Accomplished project management skills, to include organization, planning and execution.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of audiences.
- Outstanding presentation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills. Demonstrated experience working collaboratively across internal and external organizations to build relationships and influence key constituents, including senior executives.
- Familiarity with the nation’s banking and financial system, including the Federal Reserve’s regional structure and its role in monetary policy, banking supervision and financial services.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field required. The ideal candidate will have at least ten years of leadership experience related to a public affairs or corporate communications team.