- Evaluates detainees/inmates for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders and determines the appropriate course of treatment. Responsible for directing and coordinating mental health functions as well as supervising and training staff members.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs psychological evaluation on detainee/inmate population for mental, emotional and behavioral disorders. Diagnoses disorders, including nature and extent. Determines the appropriate course of treatment.
- Evaluates detainees/inmates mental status as to the need for transfer.
- Provides psychotherapy counseling to treat illness or distress.
- Possesses a complete awareness of psychotropic medications, but cannot prescribe.
- Instructs staff and officers in suicide identification and subsequent prevention techniques.
- Provides in-service education for medical and correctional staff as required. Performs and trains staff on crisis intervention techniques.
- Performs administrative duties in keeping accurate records of detainee/inmate contact, documenting all services provided, filling out requiredreports and analyses as required.
- Consults with the Physician or Psychiatrist as needed for the proper health care needs of the detainee/inmate.
- Participates in review of the quality of care provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D, Psy.D, or EdD in Psychology from an accredited university.
- Current license in Psychology in the state in which the facility is located or licensure/certification in accordance with contract requirements. (Current copy of license must be on file at the facility at all times.)
- Two (2) years of correctional work experience is preferred.