5 - 7 years experience •
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: To coordinate, develop, monitor, maintain, and make revisions to corporate PSM and compliance programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: Will include the following, however, other duties may be assigned.
- Provides guidance, using strong verbal and written communication skills as a subject matter expert on process safety standards, risk assessment methodologies, and safety management systems;
- Ensure that PSM documentation is accurate and up to date;
- Educate management regarding PSM/RMP awareness and responsibilities;
- Evaluates and prepares procedural documentation;
- Develop compliance action plan for all new and expansion projects;
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures upon request;
- Assist facilities and serve as liaisons during government agency inspections and audit;
- Deliver factual documentation including cost to upper management when presenting a recommended change;
- Prepare status reports for upper management;
- Assist facility during chemical release scenarios to ensure compliance is maintained;
- The candidate will lead plant process incident investigations and develop effective corrective actions to prevent recurrence;
- May assist general manager and engineer at local and state level meetings;
- Distinguish the difference between an OSHA/EPA recommendation and mandate when suggesting a change;
- Prepare RMP submissions;
- Support facility personnel during the expansion processes;
- Assist with P&ID’s upon request;
- Ensure that all training is up to date;
- Have the ability to deliver both oral and written reports;
- Develop and implement correct action plans for compliance issues and requirements;
- Develop short and long term company strategies for compliance programs;
- Have the ability to interpret compliance regulations and how they pertain to individual facilities and companywide programs;
- Conduct Process Hazard Analysis (PHA's) and Compliance Audits (CA’s) for facilities when required;
- Have the ability to prepare budgets for required compliance solutions.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This job has no direct but up to 20 indirect supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and / or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering (Chemical or Mechanical) Safety, or related engineering or technical field;
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a process safety or engineering role within a PSM regulated operation;
- Experience and working knowledge of Process Safety regulations, specifically 29 CFR 1910.119 and 40 CFR 68;
- Experience with Risk Management Plans (RMP), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Compliance Audits (CA);
- Working knowledge of compliance frameworks.
- Relevant experience demonstrating an aptitude for analyzing systems, processes and operational procedures;
- Supervisory experience within a chemical, petrochemical, or refrigeration industry in operations, technical, or mechanical integrity role;
- Five (5) or more years’ experience in a process safety role or equivalent engineering experience within a PSM regulated operation;
- Experience and knowledge of how manufacturing processes work and basic equipment operation within the processes
- Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint including but not limited to creating charts, formatting cells/formulas, creating presentations and reports
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, procedure manuals, operating, and maintenance instructions. Must be able to write routine reports and correspondence, also must possess the ability to speak effectively in group settings, such as with company personnel.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Must have the ability to calculate figures and amounts, such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Needs the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING: Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Must also be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must have the ability to develop action plans while working within an annual structured budget
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Also required is the ability to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, smell, and talk or hear. The candidate may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl during inspections. Specific vision abilities required to perform all aspect of this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold during facility visits. There is also exposure to moving mechanical parts, high and precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. There will be occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles, and the noise level is usually moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE: The list of duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and are not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The company reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.
TRAVEL: This position requires the candidate to travel approximately 50% of the time.