- Plan, design and execute laboratory studies including protein analytical method development, enzymatic activity assays, insect bioassays, and protein characterization studies.
- Conduct extraction, purification, and characterization of proteins derived from either microbial or plant samples using standard laboratory bio-analytical techniques (e.g. SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, ELISA, glycosylation analysis, enzymatic activity assays, HPLC, mass spectrometry, sample purity assays, total protein determination).
- Plan, design, and manage protein characterization studies at third party Contract Research Organizations.
- Apply technical expertise to analytical trouble shooting and solving other complex problems
- Prepare GLP compliant documents including (but not limited to) analytical procedures, standard operating procedures, investigations, and study reports.
- Work in a team-oriented environment managing multiple projects, deliver high quality work products on time and ensure data and written documents meet internal standards, regulatory expectations and international standards where applicable.
- Develop and use technical expertise to contribute to Syngenta project teams.
- Develop technical skills in disciplines beyond area of expertise, as needed.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
- The candidate is expected to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, comply with company policies and document all aspects of the experiments performed following GLP standards.
- Demonstrated proficiency of basic laboratory techniques, including but not limited to affinity purification, protein quantitation, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, glycosylation analysis, and enzyme assays is needed.
- Solid knowledge of plant biochemistry and insect bioassays is an advantage.
- Experience in Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) is preferred, but not essential.
- Experience working with Contract Research Organizations is an advantage.
- Innovative approaches to problem solving will be highly valued.
- This is a professional position for a PhD with at least 3 years of work experience or an individual with a Master’s degree and at least 6 years of relevant knowledge and work experience in biochemistry, protein characterization, analytical sciences, plant physiology, regulatory science, product safety, biotechnology or a related subject.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Clear scientific presentation skills at project and team meetings are a must.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and record keeping skills with a strong emphasis on data analysis are required.