Due to Sargent & Lundy's continued growth in the transmission, distribution and substation sector of the electric power business, our Substation O&M Services group currently has an excellent career opportunity for a Protection and Control Commissioning Specialist.
Commissioning Specialists are responsible for coordinating and monitoring work connected with the testing and commissioning of electrical transmission substations.
Responsibilities may include the following:
- Oversight of project specific testing activities
- Provide interface between testing contractors/subcontractors and client
- Create project specific testing and commissioning plans
- Create project specific site work plans
- Review of test data to client standards and review of in-service test data (load flow verification)
- Monitor protective relay testing and review of relay settings
- Monitor functional testing in accordance with the three-line current and potential and schematic diagrams
- Monitor and review of testing of SCADA and communication systems
- Troubleshoot issues that arise during testing activities
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of experience in commissioning and startup for high voltage substations
- Ability and willingness to travel 75-100% of the time within the United States
- Knowledge of testing, commissioning, maintenance, and power system theory including HV substation and line protection
- Familiarity with microprocessor protection relays used in electric utility substations. Should have a knowledge of relays from ABB, AREVA, Siemens, GE, SEL, etc.
- Ability to read and understand AC and DC Schematic Diagrams and Wiring Diagrams for electric utility substations. This includes schematics and wiring diagrams for transmission line protection, transformer protection, bus differential protection, breaker failure protection, etc.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Valued but not required skills and experience: