POSITION SUMMARY (Basic purpose or primary function of job)
The Prospect Research Manager is responsible for identifying, researching, and analyzing prospects for major, planned gift and corporate cultivation and solicitation. This research and analysis serves
As a foundational component for the major giving campaign and the acceleration of bequest income.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (Principal responsibilities or job duties)
- Proactively and independently plan and execute creative strategies to identify prospects from data base using creative research techniques and electronic searching methodologies to ensure sufficient prospects to meet fundraising goals.
- Develop and execute strategies to ensure that newly identified prospects are regularly presented and assigned to field staff in a timely manner.
- Respond in a timely manner to research requests from the field submitted to the help desk
- Provide high-level research on individuals and foundations using a wide variety of biographical, organizational and financial sources, including database services, internet sources and other external repositories of public information.
- Provide corporate profiles for the corporate and cause development team, including financial data, an overview of corporate responsibility, and past giving.
- Analyze and synthesize accumulated information to assess financial capacity, philanthropic tendencies, giving propensity and linkages to the organization and/or the cause.
- Compose documents (profiles, biographies, research summaries) using style and content appropriate to specific audiences.
- Interpret and translate complex financial, legal and corporate language into easily comprehensible terms while adhering to organizational standards of discretion and confidentiality.
- Extract and communicate key information which directs cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Preserve and maintain prospect knowledge, including ratings, interests and linkages in system-wide organizational database and SharePoint.
- Collaborate and consult with diverse staff contacts, including Major and Planned Giving Directors, on matters related to portfolio development, solicitation strategy and information gathering.
- Interpret results and provide direction on the segmentation and management of large groups of prospects and donors identified through the research process.
- Efficiently monitor a core group of principle gift prospects and maintain an active awareness of the important news and events involving them.
- Other duties as assigned by SVP Revenue Strategy.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Demonstrated 3+ years’ experience in budgeting, forecasting and/or internal reporting. Experience working in nonprofit highly desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience.
- Experience in prospect research or fundraising preferred.
- 2+ experience analyzing data and creating reports.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to conduct monthly report analysis to identify and investigate unusual variances.
- Ability to work proficiently and productively in a team environment to meet organizational goals.
- Ability to recognize and handle confidential documents and information professionally.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced work setting using technology based programs and platforms.
- Attention to detail; excellent interpersonal skills; strong written and oral communications; and ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse environment.