The position entails responsibilities which involve independent planning, research, investigation, development, and review of final legal products which are of substantial importance to the status and operation of our corporate clients.
- General Corporate Activities: Provides legal services on a variety of general corporate matters as requested, including but not limited to (a) corporate governance matters ; (b) handling a variety of matters with government agencies; (c) preparing, reviewing and interpreting contracts, and other legal documents; and (d) researching and preparing responses to company representatives as requested in a variety of legal areas.
- Primary Practice Areas: Attorneys may be asked to concentrate in one or more of the following areas under the supervision of a senior attorney, with opportunities for cross-practice experience on various projects:
- Agriculture - Researches land use and zoning issues. Monitors alternative energy developments and the potential impact on agriculture industry. Assists in the education of the public and policymakers on matters dealing with agriculture, including drafting and reviewing legislation.
- Banking and Securities -Reviews and provides advice regarding banking and securities laws and regulations, advertising, promotional materials, and product-related language. Interfaces with a variety of regulatory and enforcement agencies, including the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), Federal Reserve System (FRS) and state insurance departments.
- Insurance - Reviews and provides advice regarding insurance laws and regulations, advertising, promotional materials and projects, insurance policy language, and rating. Assists in audits, market conduct and financial examinations and related matters, including responses to regulatory inquiries and insurance holding company filings. Provides advice on reinsurance matters. Interfaces with a variety of regulatory and enforcement agencies, including multiple state insurance departments and federal regulatory agencies.
- Corporate Governance - Assists not-for-profit corporations, insurance companies, and other affiliates on various corporate governance issues. Provides counseling and advice to Illinois Agricultural Association and Affiliated Companies regarding matters of corporate governance such as powers and duties of directors, voting and other rights of shareholders, corporate structure, election of directors, conducting of meetings, and parliamentary procedures. Answers anti-trust questions, performs anti-trust training, attends and monitors meetings to avoid anti-trust communications.
- E-Commerce, E-signature, Social Media and Technology - Researches e-commerce questions. Drafts disclosure and consent forms to comply with the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act and the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act. Advises the Illinois Agricultural Association and Affiliated Companies with respect to the use of social media. Assists with the procurement of Information Technology (IT) hardware, software and services. Drafts data and information security policies and procedures. Researches data and information security questions. Reviews web site content and drafts terms and conditions, disclaimers and disclosure statements.
- Employment and Employee Benefits - Responds to subpoenas and assists in the preparation of responses to charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Labor and state agencies governing employment and employee benefit matters. Advises Human Resources personnel on overall employment and employee benefit matters and procedures involving federal and state laws. Ensures company compliance with various federal and state employment and employee benefit laws. Assists with employee investigations, organizational restructuring, regulatory audits and filings, and employee communications.
- Intellectual Property - Assists in managing the trademark portfolio for the Illinois Agricultural Association and Affiliated Companies. Researches intellectual property questions dealing with trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Assists with licensing work. Works with management on compliance issues and in protecting the intellectual property of the company.
- Litigation - Advises, handles and works with appropriate business management and personnel regarding general claims and litigation matters, including class action and multiparty litigation including reporting to and advising appropriate insurance carriers regarding claims and litigation. Responds to subpoenas and assists in the preparation of responses. Works on pending litigation placed with outside counsel on assigned cases and assists in coordinating discovery matters in major litigation, including class actions. Advises management personnel on overall corporate legal risk and major litigation. Assists with investigations, organizational restructuring, regulatory audits and filings, and communications.
- Real Estate and Mortgages- Performs due diligence. Drafts and negotiates real estate and construction contracts. Reviews title work, surveys, legal descriptions, environmental issues, and other issues relating to real estate transactions. Prepares and reviews documents for the closing, including affidavits, deeds, and tax documents. Works on any post-closing issues. Assists in the preparation and review of loan documents, property management agreements. Assists in reviewing borrower requests, work-outs and foreclosures.
- Tax - Provides tax advice to Illinois Agricultural Association and Affiliated Companies, handles federal and state tax matters through administrative process, reviews tax returns and participates in tax planning and regulatory audits. Works with tax-exempt organizations, including charitable foundations, on issues relating to state and federal tax laws.
- Transactional - Assists with corporate reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, and asset sales. Participates in due diligence. Assists in drafting complex agreements and ancillary documents. Attends closings and works on post-closing issues. Assists with creation of new entities by drafting and reviewing Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and resolutions and minutes of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Agricultural Association and Affiliated Companies. Provides legal assistance related to private placements and other corporate investments.
- Works closely with paralegals on various matters including but not limited to legal research, regulatory filings, record retention and production, legal holds, subpoenas, and inter-affiliate transactions
- Works under supervision of senior level attorneys on all projects.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
- Two years of legal experience in litigation.
- One year of experience in primary practice areas of the Office of the General Counsel, based on the needs of the office.
- Experience with reviewing contracts preferred.
- Strong research skills preferred.
- Knowledge or interest in subjects impacting the property/casualty insurance industry is preferred.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school and Bar Admittance in Illinois (Full or In-House).
- Current with continuing legal education requirements set by the Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board of the Supreme Court of Illinois.
- At least two years of legal experience, including experience regarding employee benefits and tax law.
- Demonstrates the working knowledge necessary to interpret a variety of laws and regulations impacting employee benefits and tax issues.
- Excellent legal, communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses thorough analytical skills.
- Ability to organize work and set daily priorities.
- Demonstrates strong personal computer skills.