Project Superintendent - Academic / Healthcare / Life Sciences
At Shawmut, our primary objective is to deliver exceptional service catered to our clients’ specific goals and concerns. Our project teams deliver top quality work through a hands-on, collaborative process while keeping our clients’ best interests our absolute focus at all times. With specialized training and the support of a national company, we foster project teams whose skill and dedication leads to the deliberate, predictable and repeatable constructionexperiences that have attracted and retained the top clients in every market in which we focus. The most memorable constructionexperiences are based on one principle—it’s the people who make the difference. And at Shawmut, we have the very best.
We are looking for Superintendents to help consistently deliver projects on time, on budget and that exceed client expectations. We provide our superintendents with the necessary support and resources to excel in their role and make sure all projects are completed to the highest standard. Our superintendents are an integral part of the project team and become involved with projects during the preconstruction phase. As a senior member of the team, superintendents are also responsible for assisting in the professional growth of team members and maintaining relationships with clients.
- Work in partnership with project manager to identify and address issues of constructability or lack of scope during preconstruction phase
- Participate in development and final review of scope, buy-out and schedule
- Research, review and address any owner, landlord, city/state requirement or procedure to avoid project delays, ensure safety, and/or ensure client satisfaction
- Develop comprehensive understanding of project strategy and commitments including financial goals, scheduling, logistics, phasing, milestones, inspections
- Oversee all daily field operations to ensure proper site safety, construction, progress, quality control and a clean site
- Work in partnership with PM to maintain an updated and accurate project schedule that reflects the changes in project status and that meets the cost and time requirements of the project
- Exceed client expectations for each project by understanding client needs, wants, preferences and culture
- Demonstrate and maintain effective and open dialogue with the project team regarding changes in work, job conditions, subcontractor relations and any deviation in the direction of the project
- Promote positive subcontractor relations by dealing professionally and fairly with all subcontractors and vendors instilling this philosophy in project team at all times
- Maintain and review punch list process to ensure all are addressed and executed in a timely manner
- Actively participate in all company-wide training and development initiatives, also work with and mentor assistant superintendent, Shawmut labor and carpentry staff
- Uphold Shawmut Values and 16 Best Practices
- 5 - 7+ years experience both in union and non-union environments
- Experience with healthcare and/or life sciences projects within the 5 NYC boroughs and northern New Jersey area preferred
- New York City Construction Superintendent license preferred
- ASHE Health Care Construction (HCC) certificate preferred
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of safety procedures and regulations
- Experience in managing, training and developing people
- Experience in computer technology (Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Project)
- Experience in supporting a rapidly growing organization around the complexities of executing work in the tri state arena.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas: high profile academic and healthcare and science related projects, out of the ground, renovation, and high end corporate tenant interiors.
- Project experience should include interior renovation, out of the ground, renovation work in occupied and unoccupied environments, urban and suburban work locations, and a complete understanding of high level finishes, structural steel and concrete
- Occasional travel may be required and could extend beyond the Tri State portion of the U.S.