What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
R&D Software Program Manager
As the Research and Development Software Program Manager, you will own the coordination and investigation of various initiatives related to new and innovative software projects.
As part of our multi-functional program management and technical operations team, you will be partnering with our various Architects, Designers and Developers to see which ideas can become fully viable programs.
The right candidate will demonstrate very strong knowledge and execution of technical program management, particularly in the areas of managing the Early Concept and Feasibility stages of a Software Engineering Project. An outstanding track record of delivering sophisticated software programs, and experience with software driver and firmware models is vital. Any prior software or firmware development experience will be also be a strong asset to have as you will be speaking on a daily basis with staff that are within those roles.
- This position focuses on the early, conceptual and feasibility assessment aspects of the lifecycle for software development.
- Strong technical program management of various functional teams, influencing and supervising the investigative workstreams for Architects and Senior Development Staff, identifying and verifying existing and new software deliverables, and forging positive relationships with Cross-Functional teams play a large part to succeed in the role.
- A passion for crafting detailed plans and working with a diverse, international team is required for this highly visible role. Working within either flexible or very aggressive schedules should be expected as the role will bring forth a multitude of different opportunities to explore. Having to build, create and maintain a well-developed, managed and executed program plan is critical.
- You will deliver results in an effective and timely manner, but also explore the opportunities implement improvements for future products and technologies.
- You will establish formal program management artifats including a plan of record, statements of work, project/program timelines, budget, scope, performance and quality KPIs. Excellence in resource planning is a must.
- The successful candidate must also plan for risks in the development path, identify prevention methods, and address them to save on engineering costs.
- Being comfortable working with senior executives is a hard requirement. You must address the needs and requirements called upon from AMD's Software Engineering, Product Management and Customer Engineering organizations.
- Strong documentation and communication skills will be called upon frequently, especially in delivering streamlined, clear and concise information to functional managers and executives.
- Minimum 10+ years of proven Project & Program Management experience in dynamic and competitive industry, particularly within Software Development or Engineering based organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Horizontal leadership/Matrix management experience is required. People management is desirable.
- Flexible working schedule to manage global program execution team (Asia and North America emphasis). Opportunities to work a percentage of your time from home are available, and may/will be required.
- Familiarity with the Semiconductor industry, especially the various functions of graphics firmware, driver software and platform hardware.
- PMP certification is required.
- Agile development or Certification is a bonus.
- Masters or Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
Requisition Number: 92542
Country: Canada Province: Ontario City: Markham
Job Function:General Management
AMD is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Any applicant who requires accommodation should contact AskHR@amd.com.
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services