Project Portfolio Management (PPM) is critical to the success of Shire and its ability to select, prioritize and activate projects that maximize value to the business. It specifically important to the Lexington site as it evolves into a Center of Excellence within the larger organizational network.
This position will play a key role in supporting the site’s Portfolio Manager and Owner in determining the optimal portfolio of projects as well as help advance its capability along the Project Portfolio Management Maturity Model.
Some key aspects include:
- Assist stakeholders with the site’s PPM process
- Support project managers and sponsors with developing business cases, prioritization and resource management
- Apply continuous improvement techniques to streamline current PPM processes
- Ensure complete and accurate project data in the database
- Generate reports and graphics to illustrate the health, balance and value of the portfolio.
- Determine performance through establishing KPI’s/Metrics, visual management, and other tools and techniques to support the site’s culture of continuous improvement.
Project Database Maintenance and Data Integrity – Provide a single source of the truth for site projects. Maintain the project data within the database by working with Project Managers and Sponsors to ensure accurate information and timely updates. Revise the database structure and framework to meet changing site needs. Apply continuous improvement techniques to enhance the capability of the database and improve the user experience.
Project Resource Management – Develop monthly department models to provide visibility to demand and identify potential over allocation of resources. Support Project Manager and Sponsors in developing resource plans for their respective projects. Work with departments heads to determine and updateportfolio project capacity. Develop scenarios to support decision-making or help justify additional resources. Develop resource algorithms to improve project estimations.
Project Portfolio Analysis and Reporting – Develop visual aids to ensure transparency of portfolio information at or above the site, including models, dashboards and other reports which enable objective data-driven decision-making. Support the Portfolio Manager to determine the optimal portfolio for the site within given constraints. Develop and track performance metrics to confirm an effective project portfolio management process or identify areas of improvement.
Visual Board Management – Maintain the project portfolio visual board for the Lexington site, including posting latest resource models and KPI’s/metrics as well as ensure we are meeting targets, visibility to project health, action items, review of new projects, highlight closed projects continuous improvement opportunities and support project sponsors and core team leads as the first level of escalation.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Life Science, Business or related field. Master’s degreepreferred.
- Minimum 8years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in management and implementation of projects. Biopharmaceutical industry project management experiencepreferred.
- Portfolio/project management training or certification including PMP desired.
Occasionally, it may be necessary to travel for professional trainings, industry conferences or to other Shire locations to attend business meetings. Expectation is less than 10% of the time