The Project Engineer applies a working knowledge of engineering fundamentals to the division’s engineering and design activities under the direction of a Project Manager. The Project Engineer interacts with all OTECH departments as necessary to provide engineering support to OTECH manufacturing, integration, and test activities, and may also provide work leadership for lower level employees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- May coordinate and supervise an interdisciplinary design team of engineers, designers, drafters, technical writers, and technicians.
- May review progress and evaluate results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Independently complete difficult engineering tasks that may include a variety of complex features and design requirements.
- Manage projects of moderate scope.
- Independently develop objectives, schedules, and estimates for difficult assignments and prepare reports on the results.
- Estimate resource requirements to meet technical and scheduling objectives.
- Estimate personnel needs and coordinate work to meet completion dates.
- Review completion and implementation of technical products.
- Ensure that customer requirements are systematically converted into total system solutions.
- Maintain the Systems Engineering Program in accordance with customer/project requirements, including the performance of hazard analyses and FMEAs.
- Analyze and develop design approaches for complex engineering projects. Consolidate results of mechanical design elements for assigned projects.
- Demonstrate excellent technical judgment and appreciable independent evaluation and ingenuity.
- Devise innovative solutions to problems.
- Develop and apply advanced engineering design methods, theories, and research techniques within related technical fields.
- Conduct investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
- Generate work instructions and test procedures.
- Interact with customer representatives to define and manage customer expectations.
- Participate in Technical Working Groups to assess and improve ADTECH processes and capabilities.
- May provide technical consultation to other organizations.
- Review literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assist in bid and proposal efforts by providing cost estimations, technical approach definitions, and input to baseline schedule data.
- Evaluate vendor capability to provide required products or services.
- Occasional work outside normal working hours should be anticipated.
- Some travel may be required.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering.
- 5-10 years of practical experience in mechanical engineering.
- 2 or more years of management experience leading multidisciplinary design teams.
- Demonstrated ability to lead technical groups and interact with customer representatives.
- Proficiency in the application of current engineering software (i.e. SolidWorks, Altium, Matlab, etc).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Excellent analytical skills for preparing and reviewing technical and project reports.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practical application of engineering principles and practices within all related engineering fields of the company.
- Familiarity with CMMI/ISO.
- Experience fielding Ship Board systems.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Work experience with US Department of Defense.