The primary focus of this position is business development of the transportation design services market for WHPacific with local agencies, and gain greater access into larger agency markets. This position is also responsible for assisting the Director in managing the Portland Transportation Group and delivering individual projects profitably.
The individual will have exceptional abilities to bring in new business, increase profits, and will lead the Portland Transportation Group to continue growth and elevated status. The Manager will be responsible for developing business development strategies and assisting the Director to implement those strategies.
- Markets Transportation business line
- Implements account penetration strategies, identifies market trends, key clients and markets and pursuit priorities.
- Finds and develops new business within existing clients/project base.
- Leads business development activities, with a strong focus on closing deals, and working with project staff to develop pursuit strategies.
- Oversees and directly participates in the preparation of marketing proposals, including proposals, scopes of work, and cost strategies.
- Coordinates and participates in cross-sales activities with other business lines, in particular the Construction Management and Survey groups in Portland.
- Assists with the operations, backlog, profitability and growth of the Transportation Business Line for the local Portland office.
- Participates and coordinates Portland office operations and marketing activities with other offices in WHPacific.
- Participates in creating and upgrading operations and marketing strategies for the company as a whole.
- Exhibits strong client relationships and sales focus.
- Administers and coordinates project contracts.
- Develops and manages project scope, budget, and schedule using company Earned Value Management tools.
- Provides project monthly reports on scope, budget, and schedule.
- Manages multiple projects or one larger project.
- Reviews and edits contracts in coordination with legal staff.
- Follows company QA/QC processes.
- Understands the role and function of each team member.
- Assembles and manages project teams.
- Manages and is responsible for all aspects of the project over the life of the project (initiate, plan, execute, control, close).
- Fosters communication, teamwork and work share throughout the Transportation Business Line for WHPacific offices.
- Provides leadership and supervision to the Transportation staff including monitoring and analyzing performance of other Transportation employees in the local office.
- Creates a positive working environment including proactive communication and mentoring of professionals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess the following capabilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Extensive Experience with OR Transportation Planning, Design, Permitting, and Project Management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regional transportation plans and issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of public funding processes and funding sources.
- Working knowledge of ODOT, and AASHTO design standards.
- Development of scope, schedule, and budgets.
- Demonstrated understanding of Earned Value project management tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated track record of using project management programs to complete project on time and on budget.
- Proven track record within local region of selling, doing, leading and managing projects.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple and complex projects in diverse areas.
- Organized and efficient.
- Strong work ethic.
- Team player.
- High energy.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required
- Minimum of twenty (20) years successful experience in providing professional or construction related services, or developing and selling new business required
- Minimum of 10+ years project management experience required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- State licensed civil engineer professional registration strongly preferred
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred