Our transportation team helps improve the connectivity of the community through solutions that support the safe and efficient movement of goods, services and people.
The Birmingham office is looking for a Project Manager to work with our team of engineers and designers to lead multiple transportation projects within our Alabama practice. This position would include daily involvement in projects that are interesting and diverse in scale and complexity and would utilize Gresham Smith’s Way to Manage system of managing scope, schedule, and budget. Our transportation project managers also lead best when combined with past experience in transportation engineering design. The ideal candidate would have past experience in roadway design and would leverage that design experience to ensure project success. As project leader, this role typically is the daily communication to our clients and project team and candidates should have excellent written and verbal communication skills. The appropriate qualified applicant would also be able to manage a range of projects and project types for the public sector transportation clients including ALDOT and local agencies.
- Manage transportation projects including but not limited to roadway design, bridge design, transportation planning, traffic operations and safety, ITS, and environmental.
- Manage the preparation of engineering reports, plans and specifications for major and minor projects.
- Manage the preparation and review preliminary and final plans and technical specifications, contract documents and estimates, and make recommendations for additions, deletions and substitutions when modifications are necessary.
- Participate in contract bidding and administration as needed.
- Supervise and observe the design and ongoing progress of a project, including the coordination of the project with City, State and County officials and other outside agencies.
- Supervise the work of less experienced managers and/or technical support personnel assigned to the project.
- Coordinate projects with clients, contractors, outside consultants and firm staff.
- Communicate and interact with project team members, client representatives, review agencies and others as appropriate to project. Resolve a variety of complex problems (e.g., conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, difficult coordination requirements).
- Lead project financial elements using the Gresham Smith's Way to Manage system, including scope, schedule, budget, and invoicing.
- Champion project quality control utilizing Gresham Smith’s QMS procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of Alabama Department of Transportation systems, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of standard operations, policies and procedures of a firm, preferably within the A/E industry.
- Advanced knowledge of the practical application of engineering principles, practices and techniques.
- Ability to operate office equipment such as personal computers, calculators, and copiers.
- Skill in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel.
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to build and maintain excellent interpersonal relationships. Ability to work independently on multiple tasks without immediate and constant supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the transportation industry required, preferably in Alabama.
- Minimum of 2 years managing projects.
- Professional Engineer, P.E. certification is preferred, but not required.
- May be required to have additional experience for some assignments.
- ALDOT project experience is preferred.
Gresham Smith is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Gresham Smith provides equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a protected veteran, disability or any other classification protected by law.